Impala Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Impala 2010-
Wish I had enough room for a "Winter-vehicle". There was a LOT of snow in Fargo this year. Our big/wide 20" wheels/tires were a nightmare for me this winter!!!!! We bought the car in July 2018. I knew the winter traction wouldn't be "Optimal".....BUT.....dear God....

I could barely get out of parking-lots with 4" of snow!!!!:gaah::gaah::gaah::cussing::cussing::cussing:

Faron

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Impala 2010-
Wish I had enough room for a "Winter-vehicle". There was a LOT of snow in Fargo this year. Our big/wide 20" wheels/tires were a nightmare for me this winter!!!!! We bought the car in July 2018. I knew the winter traction wouldn't be "Optimal".....BUT.....dear God....

I could barely get out of parking-lots with 4" of snow!!!!:gaah::gaah::gaah::cussing::cussing::cussing:

Faron
are you running the stock tires or something else? i have a buddy with a 2016 3.6 LT/LTZ and he had a similar issue. i convinced him to buy a decent set of snow capable all seasons and he reported things drastically improved. maybe keep your stock tires for summer and run a better set in the winter?

my dad's 2010 2wd silverado did great after he put on some decent snow capable tires made to go through the snow as well in Michigan snows.

just trying to help out, i think a fwd with decent snow tires shouldn't have that much of an issue with the snow. you have a heavy engine sitting on top of your drive wheels. look up your current tires on tirerack and see what their snow ratings are.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Joes74-
Yep, running the factory Bridgestone Potenza's...P245/40R20's M+S 95V's. I know they're LABELED as an All-Season tire, but when there's medium-to-heavy snow/ice, that means NOTHING. They also don't have the "Snowflake"-certification/symbol, which means they're acceptable in snow. In real-life, all that "M+S" really means is they'll handle a "dusting" of snow.

I had to get pushed FOUR times this winter. I've never driven anything so helpless before!!!!! Obviously, I'm not at full tread-depth anymore, but....damn....I'm NOT gonna go thru another winter with an "All-Season" tire THIS wide!:cool::cool::cool:It's probably like trying to drive a Corvette with summer-only tires in 5" of snow................

I've looked at Tire-Rack a lot. For that low-profile/wiiiide tire, there's a whole FOUR choices for DEDICATED SNOW tires. None of them very cheap either....from $330 EACH, to $400 EACH........OUCH! 1 Bridgestone-Blizzak, & 3 Pirelli's.

Faron

21 - 23 of 23 Posts