Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This new Ford Fusion Hybrid is seriously making me consider switching to Ford. Why can't Chevy build anything that competes with the likes of this? I mean, it looks great, gets unbelievable mpg both city (47) and highway (also 47). This thing is probably going to be my next car, unless Chevy can come out with something better than what it currently has soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Just use the F word sparingly here OK

JK JK.... what about the Volt ??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha ha, understood. I like the Volt. Don't get me wrong. It's just that it is not comparably priced and doesn't look as good, in my opinion. The Fusion hybrid is damn cheap compared to the somewhat overpriced Volt.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Yeah, the new Fusions look great. The one thing that really bugs me about GM cars, is that there just is not much style, outside of the flagship cars like the Corvette or Camaro.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I ended up with a 2012 Fusion as a rental in Las Vegas recently and sure made me re-consider Fo - -,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well............ one of them. Compared to the 2012 Malibu that I was originally given that I had to take back because the brakes were messed up it was no contest. It was a 2.5L and got near 40 Mpgs without all that Hybrid stuff going on. More room, nicer interior, quieter, etc etc. Sorry GM but you better step it up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a couple Fusion rentals last summer, and was absolutely SOLD on the car, and decided I wanted one. I owned a 2008 Cobalt base at the time, and was ready for an upgrade. My Cobalt had developed a mild transmission slip that turned out to be a very common issue, but it didn't produce codes, and no one could find a fix. I researched the Fusion online quite a bit, and found a lot of the same complaints about transmission shifting and slipping issues. I also found the same about the Malibu, which was my second choice. After all my research and driving each one, the Impala was the winner. I am an older guy and don't want a flashy car, and coming from a Cobalt base, my 2012 LT feels LOADED to me. I've read a lot of reviews about the Impala, that mostly say it lacks style and features. The only features mine doesn't have that the Fusion did are a back-up camera and USB ports, and of course the Fusion corners quicker and gets better mileage. I really like the Fusion, but in the end it still feels like a "little car" to me, and I was scared off by all the complaints I read online. I like the more solid feel of the Impala, and although I don't race, it's nice to have the added power of the 3.6L for passing and merging. I owned a Taurus SE before the Cobalt, and the Impala reminds me more of the feel of the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
I would tend to agree they're very nice cars. As of now, definitely would choose it over the Malibu, but the Malibu is getting an MCE soon (next few months, I believe) which is supposed to drastically improve it.

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
I would tend to agree they're very nice cars. As of now, definitely would choose it over the Malibu, but the Malibu is getting an MCE soon (next few months, I believe) which is supposed to drastically improve it.
OK acronyms give me a headache. Whats an MCE?

Mono Chrome Enamel?
Mighty Cool Engine?
My Crusty Ex?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Unless Ford has been able to correct the Fusion battery issue, I'd be leery. The Escape/Fusion hybrids had a huge problem that has not been highly publicized, The battery was losing power sooner than expected and that resulted in the cars running more and more on fuel rather than battery power. This comes from engineers working directly on the program ;)

If you are looking at a hybrid to save MPG only, take a good hard look at the numbers. Look at what the Hybrid package costs over the price of a comparably equipped Fusion. how much fuel at today's prices can that difference make? Usually significant.

If you are they type that want's the produce less garbage into the air then it's a different story.

Look at cost/mpg comparing the ECO Malibu vs Fusion etc. There is more to it than the allure of 'Hybrid' technology :)

Also, Volt is in a class by itself as it is not a hybrid.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If the environment is your concern, get a small diesel. All these hybrid and electric cars do more damage to the environment being built, than most any other car will do in a lifetime of driving. If mileage is your concern, hell, you should still get a small diesel...

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
walk or bike, go really green

Reactions: Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
If the environment is your concern, get a small diesel. All these hybrid and electric cars do more damage to the environment being built, than most any other car will do in a lifetime of driving. If mileage is your concern, hell, you should still get a small diesel...
Agreed.
More heavy metals used in the construction of hybrid/electric and, then you have to deal with the contents of said batteries, as well as the batteries when they die.
The cost saving of a few cents per mile will take you well past the usable age of the vehicle to break even.
No thanks.

PLUS
A lot of independant shops wont work on Hybrids becasue of the batteries and high amperages/software etc.
So, you are stuck at the dealer for a lot of service.

I aint a believer yet of Hybrid technology.
Diesel however has been around for a long LONG time and I would have a diesel lawn mower if I could find one.
P

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yep. Mostly I was just referring to the strip mining required to harvest the minerals for the batteries, and the barges to ship them half way around the globe to be assembled, and the barges to ship them half way around the globe again to be put into the vehicles, and the barges to ship them half way around the globe again to get the vehicle to their destination. Then the batteries need replaced in 7 years... real green there...

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Yep. Mostly I was just referring to the strip mining required to harvest the minerals for the batteries
:sad1::sad5::sad10::sad2:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I´d get one of those modern diesel over a hybrid any day of the week.

They´re much more reliable, powerful and efficient than a hybrid.

Plus a turbo is always packing a nice punch and easy to fine-tune with a chip.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yep. Mostly I was just referring to the strip mining required to harvest the minerals for the batteries, and the barges to ship them half way around the globe to be assembled, and the barges to ship them half way around the globe again to be put into the vehicles, and the barges to ship them half way around the globe again to get the vehicle to their destination. Then the batteries need replaced in 7 years... real green there...
Volt batteries are assembled and delivered 27 miles to the Volt assembly plant :)

I do know what you're referring to. Trouble is your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't as an automaker.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Didn't know that about the volt, thats a plus at least. I don't necessarily fault the auto makers, I fault the stupid hippies who think they can save the world by driving one of the damn things. Everybody wants to follow a trend more than they want to research and figure out how to accomplish what they claim to be after.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Didn't know that about the volt, thats a plus at least. I don't necessarily fault the auto makers, I fault the stupid hippies who think they can save the world by driving one of the damn things. Everybody wants to follow a trend more than they want to research and figure out how to accomplish what they claim to be after.

Run the numbers of cost for vehicle, then cost for same vehicle with batteries figured into mileage gain....even using figures without battery denigration figured in.

I guess if you want to finance gasoline into car payments and figure you will drive it tons of miles, then whatever.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is another thought. Watch how you and others drive. Can't keep the right foot out of it? Then, gas is cheap....or you would drive differently. Still want a hybrid to finance that cheap gas?

Also, despite having 3 Chevy's, the Fusion is a nice car....without the hybrid and with the 6 cylinder.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts