Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to take out my stock exhaust system and put in a decent performance exhaust system im looking for a decent priced one kuz im kinda on a budget lol just looking for some ideas on what you guys use... but i am looking for a kinda deeper tone.....i do get a deep tone with my intake but its not loud enough :biggrin: on a side note....... ..my friend asks me why i want my car louder and tells me the cops will hear me racing from like 3mi away and if they ask me how fast i was going ill say 45mph :smile:

·
Registered
574 Posts
im looking to take out my stock exhaust system and put in a decent performance exhaust system im looking for a decent priced one kuz im kinda on a budget lol just looking for some ideas on what you guys use... but i am looking for a kinda deeper tone.....i do get a deep tone with my intake but its not loud enough :biggrin: on a side note....... ..my friend asks me why i want my car louder and tells me the cops will hear me racing from like 3mi away and if they ask me how fast i was going ill say 45mph :smile:
Well this subject will draw a lot of different opinions. The main thing with exhaust is it all depends on what YOU like, not what others like. What is perfect for one person, is too loud/quite for another. I have heard systems with no cats, Spintechs, and dumping at the rear axel and that is crazy loud. Couldn't think about driving a lond distance with that system.

You said you are on a budget, are you looking for a complete system or just start out with mufflers? My son has a bone stock 95 Impala. He was short on money, but wanted it to have a deeper sound. So he put Flowmaster 40's on it and is very happy right now. It sounds a lot better, but not insanely loud like some systems will get you. In the future he plans on headers and a complete system, but for now he is happy with the 40's.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I went with flowmasters and 2.25in pipes from the cat back and chrome pencil tips. All under $300 installed. I have had it for a few years and am happy with it. Not too loud, but sounds like a truck. Although, I wish I would have went with 2.5in tubing for future modding.

It's all on personal preference. But if you are on a budget, 2.25in pipes are just fine for a stock LT1.

·
Registered
292 Posts
New Exhaust

First off your existing 2.25 exhaust system is Stainless Steel, a muffler upgrade is a good idea. I would look at the Magnaflow or other stainless steel mufflers. Keep your resignators on the car you will be glad you did.
I would have the front side of the mufflers welded in and use stainless steel band clamps on the rear side of the mufflers. Then you can take off the system with hand tools in the future when you upgrade..

If you have other friends that have B-Body cars take a ride with them see what the exhaust sounds like in the car. Then have them let you out and drive away at a 3/4 WOT and see how it sounds. Remember you are the one who will have to put up with how your car sounds inside and out.

I put the Spintech 2.50 cat back system on my 1996 Impala SS and at first I thought that it sounded great but I found that there was an RPM range that the system had a bad drone. I got stuck on a narrow 2 lane road at 55 MPH behind a cop. for 10 miles and was ready to shoot my self in the head because the drone was so bad. I finely dropped to 3rd gear to bring up the RPM out of the drone zone. Now I have dynomax race bullets in the tail pipes and the drone is almost gone. I have the Spintech Sportsman XL mufflers and DR GASS X Pipe in the system with Dynomax race bullets for the resignators. Good Luck on finding a system that you like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a 91 chevy caprice with a 305 an i got the car just after some one backed the tail pipe up into a curb and bent the pipe at the muffler so i had to cut it off and i have never replaced the pipe because 1 it sounds like a truck and i just dont have much money and everybody is right about it being your opinion, but you could upgrade to 2 1/2 pipe and put a set of duals on it if it doesnt already have them because that just about pleases anybody and it gives you more horse power.(make sure you get an x pipe with it)

·
Registered
49 Posts
exhaust

I recently put a new mufflers on my '94 Caprice LT1,was going to go with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers but the mechanic suggested "Insynerators"
beacsue the were half the price and perform/sound the same. At first I wasnt thrilled,they were too damn quiet,went back a couple weeks later and took the resonators off and put new pipes out the back, sounds awesome now!!
Has a good deep growl but no abnoxious drone plus theyre really good looking/well made. I aslo "swiss cheesed" the airfilter box on the 2 cooler sides untill I get the K n N cold air setup. Sounds great with these 2 mods

·
Registered
10 Posts
4.3 v8 l99

What up man i got a 95 chevy caprice 4.3 v8 l99:frown:, i got the dynomax super turbo true duals:biggrin: with 2.5 pipes from the cats bac to the chrome tips for under 300, and man she sound good she got that deep sound nice and loud but not too loud in the car at all:cool: lol at lease i dont think so. Like my dude said its up to you and what you like. let me know what you went wit or already got

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off your existing 2.25 exhaust systems is Stainless Steel, a muffler upgrade is a good idea. I would look at the Magnaflow or other stainless steel mufflers. Keep your resignators on the car you will be glad you did.
I would have the front side of the mufflers welded in and use stainless steel band clamps on the rear side of the mufflers. Then you can take off the system with hand tools in the future when you upgrade..

If you have other friends that have B-Body cars take a ride with them see what the exhaust sounds like in the car. Then have them let you out and drive away at a 3/4 WOT and see how it sounds. Remember you are the one who will have to put up with how your car sounds inside and out.

I put the Spintech 2.50 cat back system on my 1996 Impala SS and at first I thought that it sounded great but I found that there was an RPM range that the system had a bad drone. I got stuck on a narrow 2 lane road at 55 MPH behind a cop. for 10 miles and was ready to shoot my self in the head because the drone was so bad. I finely dropped to 3rd gear to bring up the RPM out of the drone zone. Now I have dynomax race bullets in the tail pipes and the drone is almost gone. I have the Spintech Sportsman XL mufflers and DR GASS X Pipe in the system with Dynomax race bullets for the resignators. Good Luck on finding a system that you like.
i went with the flowmasters with stock resonators and agree it was cheap and sound good

·
Registered
49 Posts
exhaust system upgrade

Ive since added an H pipe to my 2.25 catback system with Insynerator mufflers and resonators deleted. I also ditched my swisscheesed airbox for the KnN cold air system and everything sounds so nice now and i can feel so much better throttle response. Also added the airfoil at the TB entrance.
Next step....computer tune to really get the most outta these ad-ons, I cant wait! thanks again for everyones advice!

·
Registered
396 Posts
the system by Pypes is reasonably priced.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
Borla is a very nice system for near stock cars. Add any real power and the 2.25" pipes are a problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
garage cobbled 3" through Dynomax Ultraflos then 2.5" dynomax tails and resonators. Want to do 3" to the bumper, just was not in the budget in 09.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You can do a decent 2.5" mandrel bent system, for around $250.

(I can't get my link to open from another forum)

Jegs offers a decent "House brand" catback for around $250. Or, you can build one yourself with the 4 Dynomax pipes, your choice of mufflers, and then some pipe to get it to the bumper. Cost is about $200+ mufflers. From there, the price of catbacks goes up. Those two don't offer a crossover. It would be worth the investment, to add an H pipe to them.

I have the pypes X pipe on Both roadmasters. One just has the Spintechs dumped, the other has the Spintechs with the dynomax over the axle pipes. The fit of the pypes X pipe is not perfect, but it is decent. Note that I had to moddify the X pipe section to fit the skinny Spintech prostreets, & the dynomax OTA pipes. without mods, the OTA pipes rubbed the upper control arms.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I went with Summit Turbos... very inexpensive, only slightly louder at idle but still a good bark when you get into the throttle. They do get louder over time. They are not stainless steel, but mine have been on for a few years with no problems. Stainless is a consideration if this is going to be your final system, otherwise I would not spend the money.

If you are going to replace the whole system, you have to decide between a mandrel bent system or a pinch bent system. Almost ALL systems put on a muffler (especially is they custom make it for you on the spot) are pinch bent. Pinch bent means that it made on a typically pipe bender and that the cross-sectional area decreases in the bend. Bends in a pipe are already restrictions and this makes it worst. Please note that almost every car comes from the factory with a pinch bent system, so it is not bad just not what you want to spend money on for a performance upgrade.

Mandel bent tubing requires a much more expensive machine and special discs or other things to fill the tube when it bent so that it is not slightly crushed. Your local muffler shop will not likely have a mandrel bender. Having said all this, pre-bent mandrel bent exhaust are readily available in aftermarket systems. Walker makes a line that be can purchased by the piece through many places [Summit Racing for instance]. You can then choose what muffler you want. [On the "other" forum, it is called a "frankenstein" system.]

The most restrictive part of the stock system is the muffler(s) [assuming your cats are in good shape]. If the only real performance mods that you are going to do is the exhaust and a CAI (and some custom tuning... highly recommended), then a muffler change will get you most of the performance increase. There is still a little power to be wrung out with a full exhaust, but the cost of a whole (2.5") system and installation is obviously much higher. You should be able get a pair of mufflers installed in most areas for about $50 (or less, not including the cost of the mufflers). My suggestion is to find a local muffler shop that will work with you. Look for a "mom/pop" type shop not a chain store. They will be reasonable and let them know that you could be back later for a complete system. (They may be able to get a good deal on the parts for you.)

If you are really on a tight budget (like me), I suggest that you consider changing the muffler for now, doing a CAI, and some custom tuning. These are most bang for your buck improvements. The next level will involve a complete 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust (and new mufflers), gears, higher stall torque converter, valve springs, 1.6 rocker arms, tires, and possibly rims. After that, get the recipe from DwayneJ for a 10 seond car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts