Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed my engine air filter I noticed both terminals of my battery are pretty corroded. Given the car is 4.5 years old and 72,000 miles, I strongly suspect I need a new battery before winter. I believe Blains did say the battery was borderline bad when they did my alignment check about 5-6 months ago.

I am thinking of getting the Blains Duration battery for $150. I think it is made by East Penn per the comments. 3 year full replacement warranty and an 8 year pro-rated warranty on top of that.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now that I entered my car info in Blains website it is saying none of their batteries fit??? I though group 34 and group 34/78 and group 48 all fit the 8th gen Impala V6.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
When I changed my engine air filter I noticed both terminals of my battery are pretty corroded. Given the car is 4.5 years old and 72,000 miles, I strongly suspect I need a new battery before winter. I believe Blains did say the battery was borderline bad when they did my alignment check about 5-6 months ago.

I am thinking of getting the Blains Duration battery for $150. I think it is made by East Penn per the comments. 3 year full replacement warranty and an 8 year pro-rated warranty on top of that.

Is the original battery an ACDeclo one?

If so, you had good service from it - I would suggest buying a replacement ACDelco battery, which will fit exactly and have the OEM specifications for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
^ May also check Costco (Interstate), Sam's Club (Duracell) and Wallyworld (EverStart Maxx) for a good price on a group #34 battery. Vlad, if you're an East Penn fan, iirc, the Sam's Club Duracell is made by them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You don't necessarily need a new battery because there is corrosion on the terminals. They can be cleaned easily enough with some spray battery terminal cleaner and a terminal cleaning brush tool.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have to wait until payday, but now I am leaning toward having the chevy dealer do a battery check and will get an ac delco put in if it needs it. There is a service coupon and a rebate that bring the price to about the same as the Blains battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Stake my reputation on the Diehard Platinum as they have always been my replacement of the originals in my trucks and cars. Being from Minnesota with harsh winters you need a good reliable battery. These that I have replaced have gone beyond 7 to 8 years and you need to keep the terminals cleaned with a light coat of grease over them. Hope this helps and Avance Auto Parts carries them and have a 20% discount if you check on line and they do require the core.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got time to clean off the corrosion. It was so bad on the positive terminal that I had to get a crowbar and pliers to twist and pry the connector off. No visible damage to the battery case but I do wonder as I really had to work to get that disconnected.
Made two rookie mistakes. First, I did not follow safe order of disconnecting/reconnecting and I threw some sparks a few times. Second, the hood didn't shut properly at first because I left the crowbar inside the compartment on the battery side.
Car started right up and I only had to reset a few radio and dash settings that were lost during power disconnect. Will be interesting to see what the dealer battery check shows once I get it in. Wondering if they will recommend new connectors due to the corrosion damage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news. Got off work early and dealer had time to do battery test. They say it tested as OK even after four and a hapf years and 72 000 miles

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've always had good luck with my original Delco batteries. My '15 LTZ Impala is still going strong with 45k miles, even after sometimes sitting a couple of weeks without being driven.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Since you're in Michigan like me, I wouldnt replace your battery with the same thing. I always measure my battery tray and put the biggest battery my car will hold, as many CCA as you can find that will fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts