Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I have a few issues
1st no dash lights and radio very dim at night .....
2nd when idling to a stop the engine seems to surge I don't have a tach but I can hear it. It only lasts from the time I let off to a throttle to when I come to a stop....transfer, torque converter?
3rd no radio sound, or door chime which I think I found my answer on here but not positive until tommaro.
4th can't program a extra remote ...do remotes have to be wiped out before learning a new car? I've found instructions and have 2 fobs from a 99 Grand Prix that appear to be the same but will not program .

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FORUM! PICS?

If the fobs are comparable, :dunno: I would say a dealer would have to program them since from another vehicle.

If your impala has bose, (silver amp in between the rear deck speakers), the amp is probably shot.

The surge your hearing is possibly the transmission gearing down.

As far as dash lights, is it just the gauge cluster or all of the lights?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the radio gets dim as well. Im thinking my dash light problem is the dimmer switch.

As far as the surging its not just a kick down i can hear the engine reving up and down until i get stopped . Unless the transe is junk and wont kick down but other then that is seems fine . I wish i had a tach but a loud exhaust makes it easy to hear.

Today I can hear a buzzing sound from my gas gauge when i turn the key on and off. As well as the temp gauge seems to be intermittent.

Starting to think i bought a bag of problems.. ....

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
bad driver side speaker

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Put the car in 1st gear. Get up to around 30mph, and bring the car to a stop like normal. See if it still makes the surge you are talking about.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well dash lights are fixed the rehostat in the dimmer switch was bad...Now bypassed lol
I fixed the radio today too it had coroded power wires at the connector on the pass side as I found here also fixed the seal under the pass side cowl trim.

As far as the surge Yes i does do it from 30. It will do it at any speed when i let off the throttle yet it is fine when completly stopped.

New problem I noticed today I have to brights or cruise control. The turn signal lever does not seem to click into position. If I pull it towards me I get the bright light indicator on the dash to flash but will not stay on. I possibly have both bright lamps burnt out but seems like the lever should click.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
The lever is known to not click (its broken but still semi functional). It would have to be replaced. Very cheap part at a junk yard. My car is getting difficult to pull into high beams as well, requires alot of pull and I often expect to break it right off.

I was going to comment here earlier but I am glad to hear you are sorting your problems out!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
New problem I noticed today I have to brights or cruise control. The turn signal lever does not seem to click into position. If I pull it towards me I get the bright light indicator on the dash to flash but will not stay on. I possibly have both bright lamps burnt out but seems like the lever should click.
if you pull turn signal lever towards you it will only flash the high beams
Try push away from you and see if high beams stay on, at least that is the way my 2012 imp works.:eek:k3:
glad you are making progress on the other problems

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my surgeing didnt happen this morning until it warmed up.

However my headlamps seem to be rigged to just be on all the time...They have been hotwired inside the lamp itself so even if I replaced the multiswitch i have to rewire the headlights themselves

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you pull turn signal lever towards you it will only flash the high beams
Try push away from you and see if high beams stay on, at least that is the way my 2012 imp works.:eek:k3:
glad you are making progress on the other problems
Yeah no pushing or pulling happening....Also doesnt appear to be the right lever anyway because I have the cruise control buttons on the wheel without a button to turn it on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are they always wired with speaker wire inside the lamps with no wires going to the brights? I kinda doubt it....If you havent figured it out im not a complete jackass ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
well, as to the surging, i hear that it could be a shifting solenoid problem....or perhaps a simple fluid and filter change would help? I'd imagine its on your to do list anyway since u just bought the thing.

Do the FOB's have the same FCC ID printed on the back? Is that what you mean by "appear to be the same"?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah the tranny fluid and filter are definatly on the list....The fobs are differant I just learned of the code on the back. I really hope its not a solenoid but if it is atleast i have a lift to put it on .......Pretty sure this car has been severly neglected

1 - 15 of 15 Posts