Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son lost (or had stolen) one wheel cover from his 02 Impala. These are the OEM units. Since the remaining three are kinda beat up as well, I suggested he take them off (which we can save as spares for his sister's 2002 Impala).

Wanting to dress up the black wheels a bit, I think some capped lug nuts would be nice along with some cones over the holes in the wheel centers. I found some lug nuts easily enough, but not sure what to do for the cones. Can anyone here suggest a source (link) for a maker of cones which will fit in the openings and cover the axles/hubs? I'm not even sure anyone makes these anymore, but if someone knows a source, that'd be a big help. And feel free to suggest some capped lug nuts as well. Thanks.

Doug

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, any tire shop should be able to sell you the lugs at least. Not sure about "cones", but there are other hub covering options, such as police centers http://www.impalaforums.com/private-for-sale-classifieds/311916-9c1-center-caps-2000-2012-a.html
Don't those hub caps need drilled wheels? Or is that a standard feature of the wheels? I don't have one to look at right now, but I was thinking I read somewhere that those three holes were a rare option for the wheels. Or is it that other way around, that wheels without them are rare?

By the way, I found these cones at the bottom of the page: Hubcaps and Accessories

They look a little tall, but otherwise seem like what I'm looking for. Anybody got any experience with these?

Doug

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The pre-drilled wheels were only on the 9C1 model, the rest you have to drill and tap your own holes.

Were you looking at the "push through" type of cones? As long as you get the correct diameter, they should work just fine.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pre-drilled wheels were only on the 9C1 model, the rest you have to drill and tap your own holes.

Were you looking at the "push through" type of cones? As long as you get the correct diameter, they should work just fine.
Yes, the push through. I asked the folks at RallyAmerica if they knew the opening size for the stock 16" Impala wheels, but they didn't have that. So it's up to me to measure them I suppose. But if you know the number, that'd be great!

RallyAmerica offers diameters of 2.95", 3.125" and 3.38". I should be able to measure the opening with some accuracy. But the lingering thought I have is that, if I'm off an eighth of an inch, I could be screwed. To be clear, it's not necessarily that I can't take measurements any better than that, but that there may be some particular way the measurement is supposed to be taken that could impart an eighth inch difference from how I do it

Doug

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
The hub diameter is a 73.1 mm for a 02 impala the opening in the rim is just a few mm bigger so i would say the 2.95 since 73.1 mm = 2.877953

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
the hub diameter is a 73.1 mm for a 02 impala the opening in the rim is just a few mm bigger so i would say the 2.95 since 73.1 mm = 2.877953
only know this since i had to buy hub centric rings for my vision autobahn 168 fwd wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts