Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive had my car for a while now its almost at 100k and lately its been running like crap i want to know what should i do about a tune up for this car go to a dealer or some hole in the wall shop only thing i got added to the engine is a k&n intake and filter and my tranny has been actin wierd should i rebuild the tranny or just service it i am lookin for some help here thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Transmission: have the transmission fluid and filter changed - DO NOT have it flushed. Flushing is known to be suicide on transmissions with 100k on them.

Tune-up: Refer to owner's manual for maintenance schedule items.

Things you can always look at to increase performance/efficiency:
Plugs and wires (stick with ACDelco - stock)
Clean your air filter
Replace your fuel filter
Check tire pressure
Look for unusual tire treadwear
Rotate tires
Maintain a record of your milage (fuel efficiency), and see how you're doing. Most 3.8L Impalas see 22-25 MPG, mixed driving. Anything less, and your car is not running efficiently, or you're whipping it like a dead horse (since you're almost stock).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Transmission: have the transmission fluid and filter changed - DO NOT have it flushed. Flushing is known to be suicide on transmissions with 100k on them.

Tune-up: Refer to owner's manual for maintenance schedule items.

Things you can always look at to increase performance/efficiency:
Plugs and wires (stick with ACDelco - stock)
Clean your air filter
Replace your fuel filter
Check tire pressure
Look for unusual tire treadwear
Rotate tires
Maintain a record of your milage (fuel efficiency), and see how you're doing. Most 3.8L Impalas see 22-25 MPG, mixed driving. Anything less, and your car is not running efficiently, or you're whipping it like a dead horse (since you're almost stock).
Flush is no suicide unless you have never taken care of your transmission and the gunk left there is the last thing holding it together. :biggrin: If that is the case its only going to be a matter of time till it fails anyway.

·
Registered
557 Posts
if your starting to have troubles with the trans, I would have someone read the codes in the computer. Some codes don't set check engine lights. Have them scan it and let us know what they are if you have any.

·
Registered
117 Posts
SOrry to bring this guy back up, but i have a question somewhat regarding this subject.

I just filled er up tonight. and got 264 miles out of 13.636 gallons. thats like 19mpg. Now i do not live any city really, mostly 45 mph/55 mph suburb/country transition. I have the 3.4l engine, and 130k

Is this normal? I didnt even smash on the gas, i coasted at every chance.

·
Registered
657 Posts
do you let it idle a lot or at all? i leave mine running a lot when i go to my daughters soccer practice and stuff so i can watch movies on the HU. so when i fill up, the calculations tell me im getting about 17 mpg, but i know thats not the case. try the simple stuff first, run some seafoam, clean the TB, change the fuel filter, check proper tire pressure, etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
do you let it idle a lot or at all? i leave mine running a lot when i go to my daughters soccer practice and stuff so i can watch movies on the HU. so when i fill up, the calculations tell me im getting about 17 mpg, but i know thats not the case. try the simple stuff first, run some seafoam, clean the TB, change the fuel filter, check proper tire pressure, etc.
Not much idling, no more than ordinary. I checked the tire pressure while i was there and they were all fine just like 5 psi low at the most. Im gonna go ahead and look into the seafoam some more, it can only help. I'll also look into fuel filter and the TB... (scratches head, trys to think of antonyms for TB)...whats the TB?

Im glad to hear that mpg from a 3.4l owner, i was shocked cause all i have read is it gets in the mid 20's city.

·
Registered
1 Posts
clean out the injectors

some people believe that every now and then it helps to clean out the motor, especialy when your very easy on it, like going 45 mph to 55 mph. This means finding a long stretch of road and putting your foot in it, besides how can you resist you have an Impala I find it hard not to, or you can try a injector cleaner, some say every 10 to 15 tanks of fuel.
so when was the last time you did a complete tune, i.e. changeing the plugs and wires?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts