·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just doing some research for my roomate, we just ordered:

Low Beam 5000k 55 W DDM Slim Kit
High Beam 5000k 55 W DDM Slim Kit
Foglight 5000k 35w DDM Slim Kit

Im going to order a low beam relay now, but im just wondering if anyone uses one for the high beams? (yes i know some people dont like HID high beams because they dont flash quick we know, but the full brightness is great so we like it)

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what reason? Do they have a history or issues with the impala? I have a 07 Cobalt with 55W hids and no relay and my fiance has a 2011 Camry with 55w hids with no issue as well, although when having the Camry off with the headlights on, and turning the car on always seems to make one headlights go out then i have to flick it on 5 or so times to get it back, thats probably what a relay would fix right? No other issues though.

3 Relays is a shit load of wiring to have thats why I ask. and also both my cars about only have 1 hid kit in them and not 3.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
When your wiring burns out its too late and alot more wiring than a relay kit.

Iv typed this out for people so many time im not doing it again

Just google do i need a hid relay harness

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
flicker, yes plus factory wiring on some not the best.
keeps you from burning up factory wiring, safety issue for me but to each his own and if you don't have any issues time and money ahead.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i got a 55w kensun hid kit for xmas and my right headlight would not come on sometime. so i would have to turn my headlights on and off a few times to get it to come on. eventauly it went out. i troubleshooted and turns out it was the ballast. kensun sent me another ballast no charge. get kensun kits. great customer service.

oh and even with just one headlight it still lights up everything lol.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
You had that problem because you didnt have a harness
The factory wiring cant supply a good enough positive current and ground when you first fire up the hids.
So untill you get a harness youll keep burning out ballasts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ordered a low beam harness, not worried about 35w fogs, and the high beams will just have to run with it.

I had 35w lows and 35w highs in my 1993 Plymouth Laser and they were fine, any issues ill just pick one up they are $30 right down the street from my house at a local shop vs $20 and waiting weeks, and if i have an issue i can just take it to them.

On another note, we just ordered the Blacked out headlights (i said we should paint them but he wanted new because the stock lenses have had some abuse) also ordered LED tail lights with some black tint film that we will have to apply to the top section and leave the bottom clear open. Also ordered black mesh grilles. Got the borla's done a few weeks back too with 4" rolled tips, looks great. Car is coming along nicely, still trying to decide on lowered with 18's or stock with 20's..... and the car is getting tinted 20% around next week too! should be looking pretty nice soon.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
will need pics when done

·
Registered
226 Posts
You had that problem because you didnt have a harness
The factory wiring cant supply a good enough positive current and ground when you first fire up the hids.
So untill you get a harness youll keep burning out ballasts
other one has lasted just fine. takes a sec to get to full brightness but other than that theyre great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
ordered a low beam harness, not worried about 35w fogs, and the high beams will just have to run with it.

I had 35w lows and 35w highs in my 1993 Plymouth Laser and they were fine, any issues ill just pick one up they are $30 right down the street from my house at a local shop vs $20 and waiting weeks, and if i have an issue i can just take it to them.

On another note, we just ordered the Blacked out headlights (i said we should paint them but he wanted new because the stock lenses have had some abuse) also ordered LED tail lights with some black tint film that we will have to apply to the top section and leave the bottom clear open. Also ordered black mesh grilles. Got the borla's done a few weeks back too with 4" rolled tips, looks great. Car is coming along nicely, still trying to decide on lowered with 18's or stock with 20's..... and the car is getting tinted 20% around next week too! should be looking pretty nice soon.
due to all the pricey upgrades in such a short time im assuming yall r n a frat at some rich boy college?

·
Registered
226 Posts
maybe im a full time student and am good with my money and dont have time for a job. dont tell me yall werent thinking the same thing.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
no single and making money

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Figured a dick comment was coming. He was a foreman for a landscaping crew previously but is out of work after being the passenger in a horrible drinking and driving accident earlier this year that left him in a coma for a week and with serious injuries that will last years.

All and all, doesnt have to work for a long time as the settlement checks flow in, which is for a long time hence the purchasing, he likes his impala and wants to keep it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Figured a dick comment was coming. He was a foreman for a landscaping crew previously but is out of work after being the passenger in a horrible drinking and driving accident earlier this year that left him in a coma for a week and with serious injuries that will last years.

All and all, doesnt have to work for a long time as the settlement checks flow in, which is for a long time hence the purchasing, he likes his impala and wants to keep it.
sorry for my conclusion. and sorry for my rudeness. it all sounds pretty cool what he wants to do to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem. Hes just lucky to be alive.

That being said we are doing this car up! Should be nice come this summer. Will be on 20's with a drop and will have painted stock 17's for winter and the car wll be all blacked out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts