Impala Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 impala 3.9l 9c1 and have all the wires cut below the passenger floor carpet. I have no wipers, horn, left day running light has no power sometimes, and ac just went out after working amazingly the first 2 weeks owning the car. Car runs fine too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know where to find the specific schematic for the wires shown. I've been to a few junkyards and no impala has that extra harness. Also not to good reading schematics honestly. There's no other harness that connects to this one let alone any other cut cables in the engine bay or under dash. Took the whole dash apart and found nothing cut to even connect to those wires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as your skills goes, you are going to have to make a decision. Is this car going to be a learning opportunity or are you going to send it to a mechanic?

Let me suggest you do one wire at a time. If you make a mistake it might be easier to resolve.

Wiring diagrams can be found w site like "Mitchel 1" and others.

Parts can be found on the internet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My guess is you have an aftermarket radio installed, and these wires are unused extras. Follow the wire bundle to see if it goes to the radio. The BCM (Body Control Module) controls the wiper functions, the problem may be in the wiper control switch or in the fuse block wiper relays. Bad connections, chaffed wires or a bad wiper motor are possible too.
Test the WPR, and WSW fuses.
Does the windshield washer pump work? (Switch to BCM connection test)
Do the wipers run with the washer? (Wiper relays OK, wiper motor OK, BCM to relays OK, Possible switch or switch to BCM wiring issues)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is you have an aftermarket radio installed, and these wires are unused extras. Follow the wire bundle to see if it goes to the radio. The BCM (Body Control Module) controls the wiper functions, the problem may be in the wiper control switch or in the fuse block wiper relays. Bad connections, chaffed wires or a bad wiper motor are possible too.
Test the WPR, and WSW fuses.
Does the windshield washer pump work? (Switch to BCM connection test)
Do the wipers run with the washer? (Wiper relays OK, wiper motor OK, BCM to relays OK, Possible switch or switch to BCM wiring issues)
The car has a stock radio. Fuses are all good. Replaced windshield wiper assembly and motor. Multifunction switch is new. I followed the wires and they go to the main fuse block in the engine compartment. I've hooked up a snap on solus edge to the car and manually turned the wipers on and nothing happens. Says relays are good but got no shorts or codes regarding it or horn. Also the clock spring is good too. I've followed the wires to the fuse block but what do they connect to. I'm gonna try and get a schematic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
.... I've hooked up a snap on solus edge to the car and manually turned the wipers on and nothing happens. Says relays are good but got no shorts or codes regarding it or horn. .....
That shortens the list of possible problems. You might want to take the fuse block out and check for corrosion / bad connections inside the block. These Impalas are known to have issues with the fuse block.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That shortens the list of possible problems. You might want to take the fuse block out and check for corrosion / bad connections inside the block. These Impalas are known to have issues with the fuse block.
Alright. Will open the fuse block and check today. Thanks for the advice to everyone. Will post update later on today.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Was your vehicle actually used in police service? I would imagine most of those wires were for accessories that got removed when the car got retired from service. They typically do a pretty hack job of removing things before they are sold so you end up with just a bunch of cut wires like you have. The horn was likely tied in to some of their equipment. Tracing wiring back from the horn and wipers is likely your best bet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay sounds good. Will try and trace the wires from the fuse block once I have taken it off. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When you accept the challenge of battling latter day automotive wiring issues; it's imperative that you are armed with at least two basic weapons before stepping on the battle field.
1). A versatile 12 Volt Test light. Versatile! Spend the extra six bucks for a 12 Volt Test Light with a long cable and a WIRE PIERCING PROBE. (Minimum). If they have a long corded, wire piercing model with a BUZZER (sounder) feature, too ... that's a big plus.

1A). Mult! Most guys would tell you a MULTIMETER would be their first choice. A "Mult" w/ extra leads and wire piercing probes would probably be the number one answer on Family Feud. But, a noise-making test light with an extra long lead having wire piercing capability will get you started, ... and may be used in conjunction with a Multimeter!

www.amazon.com

ALLOSUN GK5225 Automotive Wire Piercing DC Voltage Circuit 6V / 12V Hook Probe Tester 59 Inch Cord with LED & Buzzer Indicator, white - - Amazon.com
ALLOSUN GK5225 Automotive Wire Piercing DC Voltage Circuit 6V / 12V Hook Probe Tester 59 Inch Cord with LED & Buzzer Indicator, white - - Amazon.com
www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

AstroAI Multimeter 2000 Counts Digital Multimeter with DC AC Voltmeter and Ohm Volt Amp Tester ; Measures Voltage, Current, Resistance; Tests Live Wire, Continuity - - Amazon.com
AstroAI Multimeter 2000 Counts Digital Multimeter with DC AC Voltmeter and Ohm Volt Amp Tester ; Measures Voltage, Current, Resistance; Tests Live Wire, Continuity - - Amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Have fun storming the castle.
Don't buy any more PARTS until you've got these tools!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you accept the challenge of battling latter day automotive wiring issues; it's imperative that you are armed with at least two basic weapons before stepping on the battle field.
1). A versatile 12 Volt Test light. Versatile! Spend the extra six bucks for a 12 Volt Test Light with a long cable and a WIRE PIERCING PROBE. (Minimum). If they have a long corded, wire piercing model with a BUZZER (sounder) feature, too ... that's a big plus.

1A). Mult! Most guys would tell you a MULTIMETER would be their first choice. A "Mult" w/ extra leads and wire piercing probes would probably be the number one answer on Family Feud. But, a noise-making test light with an extra long lead having wire piercing capability will get you started, ... and may be used in conjunction with a Multimeter!

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Have fun storming the castle.
Don't buy any more PARTS until you've got these tools!
Thank you. I will look into a beeping test light. Currently have a regular 12 volt test light, a multimeter. Was working on the csr today but we're having a thunderstorm at the moment. But as soon as the rains gone I'm back on it. Again appreciate the tips and advice from you and all who have commented!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dealing with a mess left behind by someone whose waisted not a moment extracting all the cop stuff, leaving you with un-rinsed pasta to sort is worth the hair pulling and cursing for a clean runner.
A colleague of mine shooting TV News in Boston, got a Boston PD Superintendent's unmarked Ford Crown Vic.
He didn't have to guess about anything.
They left it all in the car.
Everything worked.
Every thing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts