Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking to buy a 63 Impala 409/425. The engine numbers are: T1111QP, casting #3844422, date code on right rear 273. The vin is 31847J161886 confirming that it is a 63. The engine code indicates that it was used in 64 and that it had transistor ignition. Is there any chance that this engine came in this car from the factory? I'm thinking not. Thanks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Both the Engine Suffix Code and Casting Number says "1964". Date Code should have a Letter in front of it. For more info, stop over at the 348-409 site:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've been on that website but not the forum. A couple of details that may or may not be relevant: The engine is out of the car. The story is that it was removed in the 70's and replaced with a small block for gas mileage. It has posi. It has a short fan shroud. And it doesn't have any side mirrors. Is there any other way to confirm that this is an original 409 car? Wire size of springs?

·
Registered
703 Posts
There are a few tell-tale signs that could add to the possibility, but I don't believe there is any way to tell for sure. Even if you could find the Build Sheet (many times found under the back seat), I don't believe that would confirm it. Sign up over there and join in. There are some impressive experts there that know a lot more than I do on the particular subject. They would probably also love to hear about the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. I'm having trouble over there joining. not getting confirming email. I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Let me know if it doesn't work for you. I'll let them know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried again this morning. I did get an email from something called AnchorUSA with a number. I don't see anywhere to enter that number on the forum website.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I can find out what is going on for you, but one question first. Are you trying from a Phone or PC?

I'm far from a computer expert, lol, but it could make a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I'm looking to buy a 63 Impala 409/425. The engine numbers are: T1111QP, casting #3844422, date code on right rear 273. The vin is 31847J161886 confirming that it is a 63. The engine code indicates that it was used in 64 and that it had transistor ignition. Is there any chance that this engine came in this car from the factory? I'm thinking not. Thanks.
this is what i know, believe, don't know. the engine casting 3844422 is a 1964 409 engine code. in 1964 the engine was to have stamped a partial Vin#. if i read code T1111QP as a partial I get build plant T – Tonawanda, NY (small block and big block V8), sequence # 1111, QP - 409ci L31/L80 T. I. Ign.. Call the people at Show Cars 348/409. They know everything and you will want them as your premiere supplier of 409 car parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts