Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have tried to start my car several times this week and so far i havent been making any progress :confused: . i turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens (no sounds or response from the engine). the car doesnt start and the lights dont light up when the key is in the ignition (includes headlights, interior dome light, blinkers, brake lights, and the dash). i was told how to bypass the starter to get the car started but that is only a temp fix and it worked.

its a 68 impala with a 327 V8 engine and i would like to get it on the road as a summer project,now that im out of school.
any ideas on how to fix this??
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sounds like your ign switch is junk.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Unless it's a manual and you can push start it, there's no way you're bypassing the starter.

But anyway, if you can't get a response at on or accessory then yeah, your ignition switch is crapped out.

If accessory did work I'd say your starter solenoid is shot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an automatic, and i didn't push start the car.

What i was told to do by a local auto-electrical shop was to take a wire and connect it from the positive cable to the starting terminal on the solenoid, to ensure that it wasn't the starter at fault. After doing so, the engine cranked over normally.

As i continued to talk to the cashier about why the car wont start, he mentioned that a neutral safety switch or the ignition switch can be at fault here.

is there a way where i can test the neutral safety switch and/or the ignition switch before i go out and buy a new one?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'd still say it's an ignition switch. The neutral safety switch will prevent turning the key. Since you're getting no power after hitting the switch, I'd say that's the problem.

The only way to test that (AFAIK) is to hot wire it old school.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't believe that the NSS will physically prevent turning the key, it will only prevent the starter from engaging. If the car is a column shift it is likely mounted down near the bottom of the column. if you can locate it and disconnect it and bypass the connectors with a paper clip and then the car starts normally just replace the NSS. be aware that many cars have a combination NSS/reverse light switch so there may actually be four wires there, make sure you're jumping out the right ones.

good luck

nate

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Unless it's a manual and you can push start it, there's no way you're bypassing the starter.
he said if it was a manual , not that u have a manual

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don't believe that the NSS will physically prevent turning the key, it will only prevent the starter from engaging. If the car is a column shift it is likely mounted down near the bottom of the column. if you can locate it and disconnect it and bypass the connectors with a paper clip and then the car starts normally just replace the NSS. be aware that many cars have a combination NSS/reverse light switch so there may actually be four wires there, make sure you're jumping out the right ones.

good luck

nate
Yes, the ol' paper clip trick... drove my '69 like that permanently.

If you unplug the lead to to distributer that wire should be putting out some voltage when you turn the key.
Providing you've got good battery juice, if you don't get some voltage there it's likely the ignition switch or the NSS.

The NSS gets out of adjustment pretty easy, more often then they fail.

I'm gonna put a buck on misaligned NSS. Loosen the 2 screws and move it while you turn the ignition key.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well the downside to leaving the paper clip in there is that the car will start even in reverse or drive... not a problem if you are very conscientious but I would never let anyone else drive a car like that. I wired up the NSS in my '55 Stude when I rewired it just to prevent this problem. then of course I tore it all apart and converted it to a 4-speed :)

Paper clips are also good for bypassing the ballast resistor on old MoPars...

·
Registered
828 Posts
well the downside to leaving the paper clip in there is that the car will start even in reverse or drive... not a problem if you are very conscientious but I would never let anyone else drive a car like that. I wired up the NSS in my '55 Stude when I rewired it just to prevent this problem. then of course I tore it all apart and converted it to a 4-speed :)

Paper clips are also good for bypassing the ballast resistor on old MoPars...
Yes, you could start it in drive and go through the window at 7-11, so there is a safety issue!

The first car I bought (for $325 in '76) was a '68 Impala. I loved that car, seat belt chaos and all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts