Impala Forums banner

Need help on what I should do.

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Dwayne J 
#1 ·
I have a 79 corvette that I am putting a 95 Impala SS LT1 engine and trans in. The car has stock suspension, and braking. It also has a 3.83 posi trac rear end which is also stock. I have a gm replacement crate engine with a th350 that puts maybe 180 to the wheels. I am looking for around 350hp to the wheels. I will be making a custom ram air/cowl induction cold air intake. The LT1 is all stock same as the 4L60E. I will be using my hooker gen 1 long tube headers on the car with 2.5 inch exhaust. I have read that I should start with valve springs and 1.6 ratio roller rockers. What should I do next to get around 350 rwhp? I am sure all of this has been covered before, but it gets confusing reading so many different threads. Thanks for the help, sorry for the redundancy.

#2 ·
To hit 350rwhp you are going to need at least a cam so wait on choosing springs and rockers. To go with the cam you are going to want to get a higher stall torque converter, I know that sounds scary but with the deep first gear of the 4L60, and the overdrive and lockup tame it wonderfully, something like a 3000stall Edge Racing Converter would be fine for normal driving and add some pep.

Just whatever you do don't go calling Comp or Summit or Jeg's for advise.

How are you choosing 350rwhp as a goal?

#3 ·
It seems like a feasible goal without having to change the heads or get extensive head work done. I am wanting to maintain decent fuel mileage because the car with the th350 only gets around 10 mpg, I am hoping to stay around at least the 15 mpg mark.

For the cam I was thinking the LT4 Hot cam kit from summit. I wasn't sure if that would be a decent cam for the application. I read on a different thread that it was a good simple option, and since I know almost nothing about cam selection I thought it wouldn't be a bad start.

#4 ·
I wouldn't bother with the LT4 kit, the springs are marginal for an LT1 because the LT1 valves are heavier than LT4 and the rockers while quality wont support later cam upgrades should you decide to get more serious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.