Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The background: I bought the car about a year ago. It had bad hubs so I replaced them and the rotors.

A few days ago I noticed a horrible grinding sound while driving and noticed the rotor was being eaten up where the pad/bracket it. So I change the pads and rotors again. The pads that I replaced didn't look worn.

Needless to say I back out of the garage last night and am experiencing the same issue.

When I pulled it back and put it on the jack I could put the car in drive and get no grinding noise. But when it's back on the ground it starts up again.

Any thoughts or prayers are appreciated lol but for real I need HELP.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hubs on these cars are prone to failure, especially those that are not oem quality. If you hit any potholes or used a lower grade assembly it or they definitely could be worn again. With the grinding noise on the ground, sounds like it is putting just enough pressure on the hub to cause the rotor to have contact with the pads.

Next time you get the wheel up with the car on a jack and secured safely, rock the wheel and feel for any give. Be sure not to rock it side to side, but instead from top and bottom of the tire. To me it is easier to check the hubs with the tire off the car and feeling for any give by grasping the rotor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hubs on these cars are prone to failure, especially those that are not oem quality. If you hit any potholes or used a lower grade assembly it or they definitely could be worn again. With the grinding noise on the ground, sounds like it is putting just enough pressure on the hub to cause the rotor to have contact with the pads.

Next time you get the wheel up with the car on a jack and secured safely, rock the wheel and feel for any give. Be sure not to rock it side to side, but instead from top and bottom of the tire. To me it is easier to check the hubs with the tire off the car and feeling for any give by grasping the rotor.
Okay I just did that I got rocking across the horizontal axis, so from top to bottom.

I also have some play left to right?

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Okay I just did that I got rocking across the horizontal axis, so from top to bottom.

I also have some play left to right?

Thanks for your reply
Left to right play may be in the ball joints or steering. Up and down play would be in the hub bearings indicating a bad bearing. Just be careful not to have your hand in a position under the wheel unless you have the car very secure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts