Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I am in search of a 96 Chevy Caprice. I found a few in town but I use to be a Ford guy but I got sick of them.

I always wanted either a Chevy Impala or a Caprice. But the Impalas are out of my price range.

I know that in every car there is a list of what to look for and not to look for when buying one.

I know that the Caprice has an LT1 but Idk what gen and from what I know of, there are alot of types of LT1's.

I found one with 160,XXX miles on it.

How far can these engines last with proper maintance, love and care.

And what to look for.

Thanks again,

Dave

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Start by looking at the VIN number.....the 1994-1996 caprice had 2 motor options. It is important to look at the VIN as both motor options look identical with the exception that one had single exhaust and one had dual.

Check the 8th digit on the VIN, it should read like this ...

1G1BL52P P=5.7 LT1 260hp (dual exhaust)

1G1BL52W W= 4.3 L99 200hp (single exhaust)

These motors go a very long time. They are known for going well over 300,000 miles with little problem. The biggest issue usually relates to the 4L60E transmission. They typically go at around 100,000 miles.

The tune up interval is over 100,000 miles easy as long as you stick to ACDelco for the wires,plugs and cap/rotor (Optispark)

1994-1996 are the only years the B-body had a LT1 option. It was only a option on the caprice. The Impala SS version only got the LT1 and was not ever made with a L99 baby motor.

The impala SPID label in the trunk should read WX3 for Impala. If it shows 9C1, it was a police issue...also easy enough to tell usually by the GREEN Silicone hoses under the hood although some people upgraded to them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by looking at the VIN number.....the 1994-1996 caprice had 2 motor options. It is important to look at the VIN as both motor options look identical with the exception that one had single exhaust and one had dual.

Check the 8th digit on the VIN, it should read like this ...

1G1BL52P P=5.7 LT1 260hp (dual exhaust)

1G1BL52W W= 4.3 L99 200hp (single exhaust)

These motors go a very long time. They are known for going well over 300,000 miles with little problem. The biggest issue usually relates to the 4L60E transmission. They typically go at around 100,000 miles.

The tune up interval is over 100,000 miles easy as long as you stick to ACDelco for the wires,plugs and cap/rotor (Optispark)

1994-1996 are the only years the B-body had a LT1 option. It was only a option on the caprice. The Impala SS version only got the LT1 and was not ever made with a L99 baby motor.

The impala SPID label in the trunk should read WX3 for Impala. If it shows 9C1, it was a police issue...also easy enough to tell usually by the GREEN Silicone hoses under the hood although some people upgraded to them.

Thanks for the info. It helped alot.

K well I tracked a 96 Caprice down. I asked the sales man about milage and the size of the motor. He said that it doesnt have the LT1 because they came in the cop cars. It has leather interior, he belives that its a V8 4.3L. It has dual pipes and it has 160,*** miles on it.

But he does have a 92 Buick Road Master which he said "its similar to the Caprice but better then a Caprice". It has 100,*** on it and it has an LT1.

What you guys think??

I am going to go check it out tomm to test drive them tomm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if that caprice has dual exhaust, check the vin. if the 8th digit of the vin is a "P" then it has the lt1 (5.7 liter). if the 8th digit is a "W" then it has the l99 (4.3 liter). the sales guy really doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. although, it's definitely possible that who ever had it before put duals on it even if it's the l99. check the vin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
also, if i'm not mistaken, i don't believe a 92 roadmaster had the lt1 as an option. i think there was a 305 and a 350, but the 350, as far as i know, wasn't the lt1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the engines in the roadmasters available in 1991 were the L03 (5.0 liter or the 305) and the L05 (5.7 liter or 350). in 1992 they went strictly to the L05 for buick and then in 1994 they went to the lt1. so if the buick is a 92, it does have a 350 or 5.7 liter, but it's not the lt1. it's the L05. in either case, you're still probably better off with the l99 if that's what the caprice has.

·
Registered
624 Posts
92 r/m tbi motor,easy to work on cheap parts, not good in the hp upgrades
+1 on the salemans unless u know all the facts and he dosn't u could get a good deal

·
Registered
288 Posts
^^^True, but depends where you're at and how difficult the emissions stuff is. For a caprice, definitely. For an Impala, the 96 did get the center console shifter and analog gauge cluster. Parts for doing the swap are getting harder to come by nowadays, though there are plenty of z-28 gauge clusters out there. Just depends how important that is to you, but something to consider.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
update:

I checked out another caprice. It a 96 and with the 4.3 v8 (is it a 4.3?). Runs smooth, drives perfect and it has a/c. I got the vin number. Maybe you guys could tell me yes or no.

Its a 96 Caprice Classic

155,XXX miles
asking $3500 o.b.o Is that good or bad?

VIN# 1G1BL52W1TR199450

Oh and I did the blue book value for it and it is from $1,310-$1,985

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
thats not a good deal go to craigslist.com and search in your city for AN LT1 AND DONT STOP SEARCHING TILL U FIND ONE DO NOT BUY A 4.3 U WILL HATE IT LATER WHEN THE LT1S ARE PASSING YOU :eek::biggrin:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
:biggrin:y would u go threw all that work u can find lt1 caprices all day for $2000
i bought mine for 1500 and it runs fine and has 220*** def smoking those fwd guys all day !!!!!!:biggrin::eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:biggrin:y would u go threw all that work u can find lt1 caprices all day for $2000
i bought mine for 1500 and it runs fine and has 220*** def smoking those fwd guys all day !!!!!!:biggrin::eek:
Damn if you find me out around the Orlando area for that price, I will send you a bottle of Jack Daniels as my token for appreciation lol. I have looked and looked and waited. I came across a few but the exterior was crappy or the interior was crappy.

And this one is flawless. Except for a busted tail light.

It just sucks that is a 4.3 tho. And that she is asking for that much

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update:

I found more Caprice's.

I found a 1994 with unknown miles. The owner is a paint & body tech. He said he bought it from an old lady which owned it all her life. The digital dash went out and she got scared and sold it. He said the call runs good and no knocks or noises are coming out of the engine. He did a fresh new pain.

He is asking $2000 o.b.o

Another is a 1993, this is his craigslist description----------------"Great running car no rips in the interior dose not burn a lot of gas needs brake pads and timing needs to be adjusted plus a paint job!! Went to Orlando and back and it only took half a tank... Asking 1500 or BEST OFFER!! CASH ONLY!! No B/S calls please!! It needs to go today!! "

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Stay away from the 93. And I would not trust any body shop that claims it belonged to a little old lady but they had to paint it. Most retired people garage the car or live in places with covered parking. Sounds like some body work was done and paint may have been used to cover it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

On the 1996 Caprice,

The reason why it is $1,000 more is because a new radiator system & such was installed. From what I hear from one of my Co-workers. On a 1996 Caprice the cooling system is critical for these cars?

But she said she has the recipt of the radiator service.

Is this 96 worth more then $3000?

I told her I would not go more then $3000

So now I am stuck between the 94 Caprice with a damaged speedometer/ milage ometer cluster with unkown miles unless the dash gets repaired for $2000 obo (will check out the VIN to it and do a carfax) I will give hi, $1500

or

96 Caprice with 155,XXX miles, new radiator and for $3500 obo. I will give her $3000.

Thanks for the help guys,

And I am glad to be a new proud member of this board and to the Chevy world.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The cooling system is critical on EVERY car.

I would buy neither of those cars. Wait until you get something you really want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The cooling system is critical on EVERY car.

I would buy neither of those cars. Wait until you get something you really want.
Your right.

I do really really want a Caprice tho. but it seems hard to find the right one.

I would look at the Road Master but I have a feeling that I should really leave that car alone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts