Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hey guys I'm new to the family and this is my plea for help. I have a 96 Impala ss that keeps on going dead after a few days, It has a new battery, checked the alternator and it checks out good, put a new starter on it, disconnected the radio and amps but the car still goes dead. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
:confused: Hey guys I'm new to the family and this is my plea for help. I have a 96 Impala ss that keeps on going dead after a few days, It has a new battery, checked the alternator and it checks out good, put a new starter on it, disconnected the radio and amps but the car still goes dead. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
Check the battery cables and terminals to make sure there is no corrosion and that it is getting a full uninterupted charge from the alt.

M

·
0 Posts
There is properly one of the typical parasitic drains we have all encountered on these cars.

Is the mercury switch in the underhood light and trunk light good? Does the light go off when you shut them?

Also, check the wiring to the trunk lock actuator/license plate light harness. I had a drain and it turns out the wires were frayed.

A good way to help find out where it is.... if you don't have an anmeter available remove one of the two "body" fuses in the fuse block under the hood and see if the battery still drains. If you do have a meter and want to narrow it down from there, disconnect the negative battery cable and connect the meter in between the cable and the battery post and remove one fuse at a time to see if there is a big change in amp draw until you find the problem circuit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts