Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for some help on a 1968 impala convertible I just got. This car belonged to my best friend who unfortunately passed away and I now have the car. The car was running about 8 months ago but had not been started since then and now doesn't start. I am don't know a whole lot about cars but I'm willing to try before I take it to a mechanic. Can anyone help me with what would be the best place for me to start to try to get it running again? Its got a 327. I appreciate any and all comments. thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
As long as it is cranking over strong enough, make sure it is getting gas to the carb and spark to the spark plugs, for starters.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for some help on a 1968 impala convertible I just got. This car belonged to my best friend who unfortunately passed away and I now have the car. The car was running about 8 months ago but had not been started since then and now doesn't start. I am don't know a whole lot about cars but I'm willing to try before I take it to a mechanic. Can anyone help me with what would be the best place for me to start to try to get it running again? Its got a 327. I appreciate any and all comments. thanks.
Are you familiar with how to start a vehicle with a carburetor? (Not a rude question - but many people have never started or driven a carbureted gasoline vehicle.

Perhaps provide more basic information? Are you in freezing weather? Does the vehicle crank? Attempt to fire? Has the gas been replaced (or was stabilizer used in the fuel)? Is there plenty of fuel in the tank? Has the battery been checked? Are the battery cables clean and tight on the terminals? Was the engine flooded with gas when trying to start recently (which could foul the spark plugs)? Have you examined the inside of the distributor cap to see if the terminals and rotor tip are burnt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you familiar with how to start a vehicle with a carburetor? (Not a rude question - but many people have never started or driven a carbureted gasoline vehicle.

Perhaps provide more basic information? Are you in freezing weather? Does the vehicle crank? Attempt to fire? Has the gas been replaced (or was stabilizer used in the fuel)? Is there plenty of fuel in the tank? Has the battery been checked? Are the battery cables clean and tight on the terminals? Was the engine flooded with gas when trying to start recently (which could foul the spark plugs)? Have you examined the inside of the distributor cap to see if the terminals and rotor tip are burnt?
Hi, thank you for your response. I am not familiar with starting a car with a carburetor. Live in Florida so weather is not a factor. When I turn the key in the car nothing happens, no noise, no attempt to start. I will be checking the battery and hooking it up to the battery charger this weekend when I have time off from work to mess around with it. The car hasn't been started in about 8 months so no flooding of gas as far as I know. Also, since it hasn't been started in 8 months, should I remove the gas that is in it and put in new gas before I attempt to start it again? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If it has a column shift automatic transmission, try pulling up on the shifter with your left hand, while you turn the key with your other hand. If it starts cranking, pump the gas pedal a time or two, and it will probably start. Don't let it try to idle immediately like you would a modern fuel injected car, keep gently pumping the gas pedal till it smooths out. A whole lot of GM cars from the 60's and 70's had this problem after they got some years on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts