Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to this forum and if this has been brought up already please understand I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2007 Impala SS last week and would like to get better performance and gas mileage by using a after market chip. This is the second SS Impala I have owned, the first being a new 1965. Thanks for all your time and help with this, Respectfully, Gary Thompson.

·
Banned
34 Posts
I did the ECM/TCM tune and it was the best thing I have ever did to my impala ss.A lot of fwhp that was added especially if you have other mods like I did,Nd definitely do the DOD delete.it makes a big difference

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
I too will agree, that doing an ECM & TCM tune IS the best thing to do with these cars. Even if you have a stock factory car, or have all kinds of mods, the tune is what really wakes these cars up. Disabling the DOD/AFM, taking the dead spot out of the pedal, refined shift points and a lot more - as well as extra horsepower and mileage. Then again, everyone who has done the tune will say that you can get the new mileage if you not get on it, but it is nice to feel the change when you do step on it.

For the SS, you ideally have two choices when it comes to an ECM & TCM tune... You have the Overkill, which a LOT of guys here have it and love it. Not to mention, Will is a top notch guy to deal with and knows his stuff and is very in-depth when it comes to how you want it done. Not to mention it's a much cheaper alternative to your other choice, which I'll say in a minute. You can order the new tune from Will, and you have the option to keep your stock control modules should you need to have the dealer do any kind of work done. If you send your stock modules back, you get a core charge refunded back, making it undoubtedly the cheaper alternative with just as amazing results.

The alternative is the DiabloSport tuning modules. It's a small little device about the size of a GPS, and it plugs into your OBD2 ALDL port under the dash. Once it's plugged in, you can flash new tune files to your ECM & TCM, have acess to additional guages for monitoring other functions that the factory dash is missing (and then some...), read DTC check engine codes, record a live data log for up to 5 hours continuously. There's a guy named Lew that is notorious for doing custom tunes for the LS4 cars, and he is also top notch to deal with. The ONLY downside is the cost - I have the DiabloSport Trinity, with the 1 year unlimited tune tweaking for $700. Now your saying that's a lot of money, which it is. But, Lew will custom make the tune files unique to your car, driving and everything, as well as re-tweak it if you do stuff like a cold air intake, any kind of exhaust work, and more to accommodate that in as well to the tune. While the tune from Will is about half of this in comparison, I found the ability to monitor functions and the other abailities of the Trinity worth the money, as well as the retweaking of the tune should I do any other mods power wise.

There's plenty of threads here about the tunes, as well as asking more about them either here or anywhere else here. This forum has a great bunch of guys so feel free to reach out if you have questions.

Good luck with the car, and if possible please post a pic or two so we can see it - especially before "HE" shows up... :wink:

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Great info Josh :eek:k3:

But,
Good luck with the car, and if possible please post a pic or two so we can see it - especially before "HE" shows up... :wink:
This is a 6-month old thread that was recently bumped. Somehow doubt we'll be getting pics

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too will agree, that doing an ECM & TCM tune IS the best thing to do with these cars. Even if you have a stock factory car, or have all kinds of mods, the tune is what really wakes these cars up. Disabling the DOD/AFM, taking the dead spot out of the pedal, refined shift points and a lot more - as well as extra horsepower and mileage. Then again, everyone who has done the tune will say that you can get the new mileage if you not get on it, but it is nice to feel the change when you do step on it.

For the SS, you ideally have two choices when it comes to an ECM & TCM tune... You have the Overkill, which a LOT of guys here have it and love it. Not to mention, Will is a top notch guy to deal with and knows his stuff and is very in-depth when it comes to how you want it done. Not to mention it's a much cheaper alternative to your other choice, which I'll say in a minute. You can order the new tune from Will, and you have the option to keep your stock control modules should you need to have the dealer do any kind of work done. If you send your stock modules back, you get a core charge refunded back, making it undoubtedly the cheaper alternative with just as amazing results.

The alternative is the DiabloSport tuning modules. It's a small little device about the size of a GPS, and it plugs into your OBD2 ALDL port under the dash. Once it's plugged in, you can flash new tune files to your ECM & TCM, have acess to additional guages for monitoring other functions that the factory dash is missing (and then some...), read DTC check engine codes, record a live data log for up to 5 hours continuously. There's a guy named Lew that is notorious for doing custom tunes for the LS4 cars, and he is also top notch to deal with. The ONLY downside is the cost - I have the DiabloSport Trinity, with the 1 year unlimited tune tweaking for $700. Now your saying that's a lot of money, which it is. But, Lew will custom make the tune files unique to your car, driving and everything, as well as re-tweak it if you do stuff like a cold air intake, any kind of exhaust work, and more to accommodate that in as well to the tune. While the tune from Will is about half of this in comparison, I found the ability to monitor functions and the other abailities of the Trinity worth the money, as well as the retweaking of the tune should I do any other mods power wise.

There's plenty of threads here about the tunes, as well as asking more about them either here or anywhere else here. This forum has a great bunch of guys so feel free to reach out if you have questions.

Good luck with the car, and if possible please post a pic or two so we can see it - especially before "HE" shows up... 😉
Ca

Good luck with the car, and if possible please post a pic or two so we can see it - especially before "HE" shows up... 😉
Can you remove DOD with a Diablo sport tuning module?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts