Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..I'm new here so I'm hoping this post is in the right place. I recently took my 2002 Impala LS to the dealership to have the catalytic converter replaced for the 3rd time in less than a year (yeah i know) and the dealership told me that my car was giving them the 1811 code. It's a transmission pressure control solenoid or something. I have put Seafoam in to try and buy some time. I was told by someone that getting the fluid and filter replaced my solve the whole problem. Is this true?? Also, can going a while before fixing this totally fry my trans? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.... (can't get my font out of this italic...lol)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Any kind of foam or stop leak/ quick fix stuff isn't good for extended periods of time and WILL cause more harm than good (usually resulting in needing to replace parts).

Usually crap will build up on Solenoids and mess with them. Some guys will try to take you for a ride and say the whole thing needs to be rebuilt or replaced, but just get the fluid changed, new filter, and replace the solenoid (if needed).

The 1811 code is actually known as the "abuse code" or "hard shifting code" on some other forums. Basically, if the car gets slammed into gear too often ("Flooring it" all the time) I don't know how you drive, but if the Cat replacement is any indicator, slow down lol but all kidding aside, get the fluid and filter changed, and maybe the Solenoid, and you should be alright.

I'm not really sure how it links to the cat, though, if you were wondering.

Here's some more information on another site I found: 2002 Impala w/120,000 Code p1811 - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..... I was just told by a transmission shop that I shouldn't have put in the seafoam to begin with and I shouldn't even be driving my car. I haven't even had the car a year yet. The Cat replacements were all covered by a "special bulletin" from GM so it has never cost me anything. ( i put that in there for extra info) My dad told me to try the seafoam then go and get the fluid and filter changed, so this has been my plan.
As far as my driving habits....I do tend to go over the speed limit often, but never really flooring it as the highest speed limit around here 35, unless on the highway which I rarely do.
My most serious concern is driving too long before getting it fixed and really screwing something up. It's going to take me a while to get all the money together....so any advice on that?? How much do fluid and filter replacements usually run? (rough estimate) Thanks again for you help ; ) and I'm going to check that link out now.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I'm actually not sure- I usually do this stuff myself- I don't go anywhere for it and I use the stuff my dad has at home (he's a mechanic), so I don't even buy the stuff usually lol.

As far as driving the car, the guys are right- you really shouldn't be driving it, but down a few blocks to the grocery store won't really kill it unless you do it 5 times a day.

stop leak solutions/ spray foam: think of it this way- if it was meant to be in there, the factory would have put it in there lol It pretty much is stuff to get you home from the store after you discover the problem and then to the shop, not a fix for a few months of daily driving.

the other guys on this forum generally are on top of stuff like this, but I guess I was the only one who didn't have work today lol

I find it humerus that GM included a code for "abuse" too- I'm generally on the limit, but I like my Expressway driving and merging usually requires hitting 70-80 around here- it's crazy, but if you can drive in NY you can drive anywhere :p just for now, keep it slow and easy or you'll make the problem a hundred times worse than it is or will be. I understand working on a budget... trust me lol my car is just getting registered tomorrow yet I've had it for over a year B/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm going to call around and see who can get me in the fastest and have the fluid and filter changed. If that doesn't solve this problem them I'll have to get the PCS replaced. I moved here to Ohio 2 yrs. ago from Houston, so I'm not to familiar with the local shops and who I should trust. You've never had to replace your converter? I have read online about people having to replace them like 5 times. I'm guessing it has to be something else causing the converter to fail. After December my car is no longer covered by the "special bulletin" which I think is complete BS since I've already had it changed 3 times in less then a year. But thanks again for all you input and if anyone else has anything that could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I know my dad had a problem on our 1999 Chevy Astro van- the cat kept spewing crap into the muffler- made the thing sound like a freakin' TANK... cool, but inefficient lol You said your car was a 2002, and my impala's a 2003- maybe they worked it out between when your car was made and mine, but I don't know.

as far as trusting people, you know what you need done- don't let them take you for a ride and make you pay for what you don't need- just tell them "listen, my friend is a mechanic and he says _____ but he can't do the job for me because he's busy"- that'll make them think twice about messing with you because if your non-existent "mechanic friend" says they're wrong, they lose business. Dealing with the dishonest public is psychological warfare and I'm good at that stuff lol

My dad has one of the scanners so he knows all the codes and stuff- it really helps in these hard times on a low budget!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts