Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got in an accident and it threw off the rear end. I want to get new axles, seals, bearings, and an all new brake set up. I want to buy all of these parts and do it at once. I was wondering if anyone knows of a kit that could do all of that or a place that I can get some good axles. Eventually more horsepower will be added but I need to get it back on the road first. I want something that will hold up for me. I was planning on buying the seals and bearings at Autozone. New brakes would be from there as well. Any suggestions or other parts that you can think of? Oh, prolly new U-joints too (just because). I only want to have to do this all once and basically have a brand new rear end. I will be putting 3.73 gears and a new posi in but not for awhile yet. Thanks in advanced. :beer:

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Be aware the Impala axle is wider than a 9C1 axle. 9C1 had a narrower axle so snow chains would clear the sheetmetal.

I would not mess with factory u-joints unless you know they are a problem. Once you replace them once you will replace them fairly often.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a true Impala, why do I have to worry about a 9C1 axle? Do parts places commonly mess that up? I'm in pretty good with the local Autozone because one of the guys working there has a Caprice of the same year. Couple things done to it as well, he knows what he's talking about. For the most part we're at about the same level in knowledge about the car. We haven't raced yet and in a way I kinda don't want to... We are the only 2 you see in town and kinda want to keep our cars as known to race together not against each other... Pride for each other... On a serious note, what is the length of the axles, and for best durability to be able to handle power? :dunno:

·
Banned
423 Posts
We have 9 inch rear ends in our cars (Impala) and Caprice's have either 7 1/2 or 8 1/2, I forget. I replaced the rear end on my car maybe about a year and half ago. I told my machanic to get me a Caprice rear end because finding an Impala rear end was hard to come by, but he informed me that it wouldnt fit. Caprice's are shorter.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
A civilian L99 car might have a 7.5" which is what the S-10 and f-body use, an LT1 or 9C1 b-body got the 8.5" even the super magical special Impala. People just like to make things up to pretend it is something other than just another Caprice.

A Caprice axle will fit just fine because the Impala is a Caprice.

The 9C1 just got a narrower housing along with the Roadmaster, the 9C1 so chains would clear and the Roady so the tires would clear the skirts.

I don't have the axle shaft length measurements for each, which ones you buy pretty much doesn't matter though because axle shaft failures are basically unheard of even stock shafts are fine at least into the 10s. The wildest application of the 8.5" 10-bolt I know of does use aftermarket shafts and it making something like 1500hp and has found the pinion gear to be the weakest link. If he lets the power come in like it wants he strips the pinion 100ft down track. The pinion gear is only like a 1.625 shaft, the stock axles are 2 more like 1.5" shafts to share all that load that came through the one pinion gear.

I have stock shafts in mine yet and before I bought this axle it was in a nitrous car that was quicker than my car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dwayne knows his stuff so I'd say listen to him. I like to confirm information from several sources before I decide to buy something like what's going on here. I wasn't looking to sell it but I have a wrecked 9C1 that I've sold some parts off of. Everything in the rear-end is thumbs up. It was a limited slip but I upgraded the differential and installed a new ring and pinion also.

It's a Yukon Duragrip posi, 4.10 gear and the custom made reluctor ring so that I could use the 4.10 and retain use of my ABS in the rear. I bought the reluctor ring from Bob Shirley (here on the forum) and the diff/gear from Randy's ring and pinion. It was only on the car... maybe 15K.

I had to put that posi in there... I was crouching in my seat at the track as I lit up one wheel doing a burnout LOL. Plus the original diff had 200K on it. I started building up the potential weak points before I started putting some real power adders on but I didn't get far enough before I got into a wreck and broke my neck and too much damage to the car to be worth fixing... worth more in parts than to fix.

I know you say you want to do your upgrades in the future and get all your parts at once... I just think this might help you out one shot and you're all done.

I looked up the parts you need on car-part.com to see what they go for and it ranged from like 200-1200. I kinda want to keep my parts but they're also not being used right now and it may be a while before I swap it into my impala. I spent about 1000 on the parts (I can give info on the parts if ur interested) but i guess I'd sell everything you need for $1300(firm). It's all tip top, quality parts and I did the work with the guy i worked with at the shop I worked with at the time. The gear is quiet as a mouse... or at least a really quiet gear, the one in my Impala moans and whines a bit.

just thought this might help, even though I'm not really looking to sell the parts I will make an exception i suppose.

You can see pics on my facebook Devan Cold Soda Cobb | Facebook befriend me if it doesn't let you look at my pics. but I think I have the settings set so anyone can see my pics even if they're not my friend. Pics are in the "RACING" and "Mobile Uploads" (mobile uploads with 100 pics)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am putting new stock parts on mine right now, not gears or posi. Would you be willing to make a deal for trade on my rear-end? You can have my stock rear end and that way once you do decide to upgrade you will be able to. Help each other out in a way :eek:k3:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will have to respectfully decline that counteroffer. I have no use for your stock rear-end, my diff is stock(posi) but the gear is a mild upgrade. It would be like having an extra downgrade that I would never use.

Just balance out how much you're going to spend for all the rear assembly, then an upgraded differential, an upgraded gear and the calculate in the work you'll have to do upgrade it in the future... see what you think. The parts I have weren't cheap so if you plan on going cheap in the future, remember you get what you pay for.

I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong but what I'm offering is just an unbolted rear axle assembly... and you'll just bold it up to yours. All I'm saying is that it's money that you will spend in the future and you're gonna have to pay for stock parts now then upgrades later. I just think this should bolt up... and you never have to deal with any bullshit getting things to fit right when you go to upgrade... it's whatever you want though... it's your build

btw... you'd have to get the computer reprogrammed for the 4.10... or even a 3.73 so you're speedo isn't out of wack.

My offer is firm as it stands

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the whole axle is coming with me then right? Just trying to make that clear..? 1300 for the new axle or just the parts you put into it. :dunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah lemmie know all you need. It would be the from the differential to the brakes.... I'd have to look at it... but I'm sure it's just unbolt everything that connects the rear axle to the frame. Shipping is on you, but if you want it I can help you figure that out. What I got there is like a grand in parts and then it's like 300 bucks for everything else. You can send me your email address and I'll go get the car tomorrow and pull it in the shop and put it up on the lift to take some good pics for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent you a request on Facebook. If it's the whole rear-end and all I have to do is take off mine and replace it I will probably take it. Where are you located? Greensboro or just near by? I might be able to actually come get it instead of shipping but it wouldn't be until the 2nd week in July. There's a NASCAR race down in Kentucky and it would be convenient at that time if it works for you. I prefer not to have to ship it especially since I will be somewhat close to the area, if its doable on your side. I am interested though.
:beer:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Greensboro North Carolina. I'll accept the friend request and you should be able to see all the pics. I'll still pull it in the shop tomorrow and put it on the lift to take some more pics so you can see what I got a little closer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got some pics I'll upload onto facebook when i can... just been busy moving and working on my car... it's giving me shit while im trying to move

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am planning on coming the 2nd weekend in July. Maybe that Friday otherwise the Saturday. Hopefully this works out for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any spare tires as well? The stock Impala 17"s. I will take a pair but if you only have one that will do. Even interested in the steel wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do but I would like some extra for the wheels. They're not always easy or cheap to come by and all the tires are in fairly good shape. I'd have to figure what they're worth though considering rim and tire condition. I'll see if I can check them out soon and let you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts