Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New here. Looking at a 63. Is there a way to tell if its a SS by the serial number.
Thanks for any help!
Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same question here

I have the same question, since the VIN decoders I've seen make no mention of whether or not the car is an SS.

Aaron

·
Registered
32 Posts
63 Vin

Thanks Blackjack...that's a pretty cool website. Lots of good info for guys just strarting out in this hobby (like me). Nice scooter, by the way.:smile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,
New here. Looking at a 63. Is there a way to tell if its a SS by the serial number.
Thanks for any help!
Joe
please correct me if i'm wrong, but even with the vin, you cannot 100% confirm weather the car is a true SS or not, should have 1847 in the vin for #'s 2-5 (if i rember correctly) but it is best to just check the car out well, and make sure all of the SS "parts" are present (auto on the floor, "SS" fish scale patters on the dash, in the corners of the speedo, in the outside lower trim, in the rear panel inserts, etc.) most "clones" use incorrect parts, or dont replace every part. i have seen many '63 clones with '64 SS center consoles and door panels, and a lot of clones with out the "fish scale" patterns in the speedo corners, incorrect trim, incorrect bucket seats, etc. etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
please correct me if i'm wrong, but even with the vin, you cannot 100% confirm weather the car is a true SS or not, should have 1847 in the vin for #'s 2-5 (if i rember correctly) but it is best to just check the car out well, and make sure all of the SS "parts" are present (auto on the floor, "SS" fish scale patters on the dash, in the corners of the speedo, in the outside lower trim, in the rear panel inserts, etc.) most "clones" use incorrect parts, or dont replace every part. i have seen many '63 clones with '64 SS center consoles and door panels, and a lot of clones with out the "fish scale" patterns in the speedo corners, incorrect trim, incorrect bucket seats, etc. etc.
In 1963, the Impala "SS" was referred to as a Sport Coupe. When you run the VIN, it should tell you whether or not your car is a true Sport Coupe (SS). It also helps if you have the original invoice, window sticker or sale paperwork. I am lucky enough to have that data with my car (my father in law was a packrat), thank God. I ran mine a while back and this is the result I received. Same result on a few other websites too.

For VIN #31847S105574

Your car is a: 1963 Impala 8 cylinder 2 door Sport Coupe built in St. Louis, MO and was the 105,574th production model of its type.

·
Registered
32 Posts
VIN Data / SS ID

In 1963, the Impala "SS" was referred to as a Sport Coupe. When you run the VIN, it should tell you whether or not your car is a true Sport Coupe (SS). It also helps if you have the original invoice, window sticker or sale paperwork. I am lucky enough to have that data with my car (my father in law was a packrat), thank God. I ran mine a while back and this is the result I received. Same result on a few other websites too.

For VIN #31847S105574

Your car is a: 1963 Impala 8 cylinder 2 door Sport Coupe built in St. Louis, MO and was the 105,574th production model of its type.
Just a bit of trivia that I never caught until now - I checked the window sticker for my car today and in 1963, the Sport Coupe package was only an additional $161.40!!!!! Crazy...nowadays they'd get you for another $2-5000 bucks just to start. I guess that's inflation at work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts