Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been debating for last years to get winter tires on car or not, did not care before i had a neon ... but this year its the imp. so am thinking should get some steel rims and winter tires. phoned tirerack.com they said get the narrow one they better in winter... I was like hmm how come ?

At intersections we have ice mostly and padded down snow at other areas. So what would work ? 215/R60 - 16 or 225/R60 - 16 ?

I know its like what is better PC or a MAC kind of debate?

But anyone with imp. and winter tires on it on these forums wanaa share what the have ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Skinnier the better for winter tires. They need to sink in to grab any traction they can find, not ride on top of the snow as wider tires will do.
I'd look at 215.65.16 or something in that neighborhood.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Yeah the thinner the better

Same reason tractors have tall skinny tires its just alot better for traction.
The wider the tire the more it floats on top of snow.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
No debate, thinner is better in the snow.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yep, it cuts through to the pavement. You should definitely get winter tires if you can, traction=safety.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, it cuts through to the pavement. You should definitely get winter tires if you can, traction=safety.
But are you really safe? there are always someone else who aint got such tires so they can slide into you as well :giggle: .

btw . 215/r65 16 how that different from 215/r60 - 16 ?

Also would my imp. take 5 on 100 bolt pattern rims ? was thinking of getting used tires with rim. Or that not advised ?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
There are always other people, but if you have traction at least you have a chance of getting away from them.

Tire sizes, first number indicates width of tread, second is ratio of height to width, so 60 or 65% as tall of sidewall as width of tread.

5x100mm won't fit, too small of bolt pattern. Otherwise, used rim/tire package is a good way to go.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5x100mm won't fit, too small of bolt pattern. Otherwise, used rim/tire package is a good way to go.
So what will ? 5x 115 mm ? and when you say 115mm i am assuming thats the diameter of the holes ? I also seen fancy words like 115 mm offset :bang: what is this offset they talk about. :gaah:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Not the diameter of the holes, how far apart they are spaced. I think 115mm is right, it will fit regardless. A 5x115 will be 115mm from outside edge of one hole, to center of second hole over.

Offset, or backspacing, is how far the wheel lip is back from the hub surface. That is the measurement that effects your clearance. If you get the wrong offset, your wheels will hit suspension parts when you turn, or worse.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Offset, or backspacing, is how far the wheel lip is back from the hub surface. That is the measurement that effects your clearance. If you get the wrong offset, your wheels will hit suspension parts when you turn, or worse.
I see. so imps. take 5x115 offset only. BTW do 215/r60-16 tires go on stock rims that come with the imp ? I was thinking of just getting winter tires on stock rims and get new bling bling rims for summer and put the existing tires on there.:dunno:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
5x115 is the lug pattern, I don't know what the offset is.

Yes the 215/60/16 will fit the stock 16" rims, and getting a new set for the summer is a grand idea.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
your offset stock is +35mm.

So +33mm through +38mm will work.

+33 +34 +35 +36 +37 +38 offsets will work on your car.

Also the lug pattern 5x114.3 or 5x115 will work.

Not to confuse you more you might need to get hub centric rings with your new rims to be 100% safe

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
215 will be slightly narrower, and slightly shorter i height. It won't hurt anything if thats what he wants to run, speedo may read a hair fast, but better fast than slow.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not to confuse you more you might need to get hub centric rings with your new rims to be 100% safe
Really :bang: not confuse me more ? :dizzy: a hub :idea: ??

So how are 215 shorter in height, i thought all that meant was its width ? :dunno:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It does, but since the second number is ratio of height to width, a narrower tire with the same ratio will be shorter as well.

Hub centric rings are used when the center bore of a wheel doesn't fit snugly around the hub on the car, the ring fills the gap so the wheel is secured in place better. Most aftermarket wheels don't have a lot of center bore options, so the rings are used to correct it.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does, but since the second number is ratio of height to width, a narrower tire with the same ratio will be shorter as well.
So... need to be 215/r65 than to be same height ?

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
will Blizzacs 235-60-16 fit on mine ? is there a tool out there that one can use to figure out what can fit or not for someones car ?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Tire rack has a tool on their site that should tell you what will and won't fit. Or you can use this one Tire size calculator for size reference

1 - 19 of 19 Posts