Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My son just bought his first ever car, a 2000 Impala LS for a whopping $500. Previous owner didn't know what to do with it after it blew the intake manifold (cheap & easy fix, but I didn't tell him that), so we got a great deal. Engine is a 3800 Series 2 and we got it back up and running. The only thing that is leaving me scratching my head is one wiring harness at the back of the engine that I have no idea where it belongs. Everything else found it's home. There is also a bracket that looks like something ought to be attached to it at about 1 o'clock from the harness. After reviewing the photos we took prior to do any repairs/disassembly, I saw that the harness was just sitting there plugged into nothing. And after much inspection and a whole lot of internet searching, I can't for the life of me figure out what's missing.

Can anyone here help guide me? I'm not super familiar with the 3800 as I typically work on imports. See images for mystery harness. MUCH THANKS!

Motor vehicle Light Gas Vehicle Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Registered
2004 Impala LS 3.8L (~130k miles)
223 Posts
Mine is a 2004, so very similar but not entirely the same. Mine has a rather short harness that connects into the connector you have circled in red. The other end goes to the O2 sensor directly below. Where the 2 harnesses connect there is a sort of Christmas tree connector that plugs into a metal bracket in the area. Difficult to say without being able to see it, but the pictures suggest that your missing harness connector goes to your O2 sensor. Onboard diagnostics should be able to confirm if the O2 sensor is really disconnected. Here are some pictures of mine (not so good...it's dark here and Impala is outside)....

Sleeve Personal protective equipment Electric blue Auto part Metal

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Trunk

·
Registered
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
79 Posts
Mine is a 2004, so very similar but not entirely the same. Mine has a rather short harness that connects into the connector you have circled in red. The other end goes to the O2 sensor directly below. Where the 2 harnesses connect there is a sort of Christmas tree connector that plugs into a metal bracket in the area. Difficult to say without being able to see it, but the pictures suggest that your missing harness connector goes to your O2 sensor. Onboard diagnostics should be able to confirm if the O2 sensor is really disconnected. Here are some pictures of mine (not so good...it's dark here and Impala is outside)....

View attachment 166289

View attachment 166290

View attachment 166291
You can see in the first posted picture just above the circled harness that the oxygen sensor is plugged in and connected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts