Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i bought my 67 impala i was told it had a 307 that was in fact running but had been sitting for a couple years. When i tried starting it i quickly realized it needed a new starter but when i went to Lordco Autoparts and bought a 307 starter, it didn't match up with the block, i went back and they part matched it with a 350 starter. This puzzled me, i checked the casting number and the # says it is in fact a 307. I've also noticed some paint on the flywheel that marks it as a '69 350 flywheel. The casting number on the drivers side by the bellhousing is 3970020, the 3 is possibly an 8. What do i have? Are there any more numbers that i can check for?

Any help is greatly appreciated, William

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
not to be rude but

put it on a trailer and take it to a real mechanic or hotrod shop if u dont know what u are looking at:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, no offense taken. I definately will be doing that because to add to the mystery i now found out the intake is off a 1980 305 haha

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Is this the car that inspired the song with the lyrics "one piece at a time"?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Somebody chime in if I am saying something totally stupid but... Is it possible that it is indeed a 307, but the 350 flywheel is what made the 307 starter not fit? I don't know what that means as for the 305 intake, but even if the 307 wouldn't take a 305 intake than maybe the heads have also been swapped? Any way you look at it, you sir have a frankenmotor.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Dont they make fly wheels that support mulitple set ups? Maybe I am just thinking repro...

Frankenmotors are ok as long as they move!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i finally decided to scrape off some paint and look at the ID code, its a god damn 1973 307 with 115 horsepower from a c10/15. I also saw that the heads are steel, 307's came with aluminum. I am going to get this out my my car so fast it will break the speed of sound. 327 here i come! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
at least u found out!!!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I can't believe I was right! One thing though, are you sure the 307 had aluminum heads in 73? Especially if it came from a truck, that seems odd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't believe I was right! One thing though, are you sure the 307 had aluminum heads in 73? Especially if it came from a truck, that seems odd.
you were right about the engine but you were wrong about the flywheel. The starter didnt fit because the bolt pattern didnt match up with the block. And the aluminum heads im not 100% sure on, thats just what i heard

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well dang. I wonder what the deal is with the bolt pattern not matching?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think a truck 307 would be a 4 bolt block tho? maybe you could destroke it to a 283 and build it up old school. Heads should be cast iron on just about every non-performance SBC until fairly recently.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sound's like 350 crate motor time.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sure didn't come from the factory with those heads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts