Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boss drives this 1965 caprice wagon up from Washington state to his home in canada about 5 yrs ago, Proceeds to yank the motor and tranny. Clean, re gasket and paint the motor, Rebuild the whole front end, buy new wheels and tires(15x8 corvette rallies) and buy a complete 4 speed set up for it. About 3 months ago i got to work on a thurs and he says "iam moving, sold the house" "do you want my wagon?" At the time i wasnt in a financial position to buy it so i said "I really cant afford to buy it right now" he says just come and get it, Its FREE!!!
So that night i borrowed a trailer, loaded it up and brought it home.
It is a 1965 Caprice wagon, factory 275 horse 327, 3 speed standard, 12 bolt rearend, super clean and original, front seat and rear panels are a little rough, 2 quarter size spots of rust, sooooooooo clean underneath!!! I think iam going to go with the patina idea for the body, clean up the interior a bit, definatly going with the 4 speed but i also have a running low milage 454. But not sure about that at this point.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
Looks good , will be nice when done :beer:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Nice deal,can't beat free looks like it is great shape also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice deal,can't beat free looks like it is great shape also.
yeah free is always good!!! very clean, nice easy winter project, trying to keep costs down so its going to be on a budget as well, only 30,000 on her though

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trying to figure out what to do with the trim, not liking the wood grain in the center and i cant get wood grain to stick to the outer pieces where the chrome is, so thinking of leaving the center green and painting the trim where there should be wood grain, any thoughts anyone?

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
If it were me , I'd remove all the wood grain and trim , repaint it the same color and pin stripe it.

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
trying to figure out what to do with the trim, not liking the wood grain in the center and i cant get wood grain to stick to the outer pieces where the chrome is, so thinking of leaving the center green and painting the trim where there should be wood grain, any thoughts anyone?

I agree with Bones! The sides of these wagons look so smooooooth...:dizzy:....err...ummm...NICE when redone.....

Can we get some interior shots when you have a chance? I love these wagons!!!!:eek:k3:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Bones! The sides of these wagons look so smooooooth...:dizzy:....err...ummm...NICE when redone.....

Can we get some interior shots when you have a chance? I love these wagons!!!!:eek:k3:
thought about that but that means filling all the holes then bodywork and paint, trying to keep this low budget, love the car but if i'm going to dump big money into a project it wouldnt be this one lol.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Nice car. That is a pretty rare combination that you have there. Caprice Wagon, 327 and 3-Speed Manual, along with a 12-Bolt. Did you get the 327 with it too?

That would sure be a nice car restored to original. It would be a hit a car shows. The 3-Speed Manual Trans is what makes it the most unique.

Keep us posted.

Bill

·
Registered
581 Posts
BTW, you may already know this, but the Sidelights on the front fenders are non-original aftermarkets. They started selling them in the late '60's when Factory Sidelights started in '68 for people who wanted Sidelights on their '67 and older cars. They also had Red ones for the rears.

Bill

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice car. That is a pretty rare combination that you have there. Caprice Wagon, 327 and 3-Speed Manual, along with a 12-Bolt. Did you get the 327 with it too?

That would sure be a nice car restored to original. It would be a hit a car shows. The 3-Speed Manual Trans is what makes it the most unique.

Keep us posted.

Bill
yes i have everything original for the car other than wheels and tires

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, you may already know this, but the Sidelights on the front fenders are non-original aftermarkets. They started selling them in the late '60's when Factory Sidelights started in '68 for people who wanted Sidelights on their '67 and older cars. They also had Red ones for the rears.

Bill
i kinda wondered about that, i have had 67 68 camaros and the marker lights came factory on 68 because they came out that year

·
Registered
285 Posts
65 Caprice wagon?

Before I would do anything, I would check the title. Why? Because it doesn't look any 65 I have ever seen. It's a 66 near as I can tell. Now maybe you have a freak of nature, or a car that was titled wrong because of manufacturing times, etc, however that's clearly a 66 front end and 66 tail end. Let us know what the title says.

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
65 caprice wagon

Also put up some pics of the dash. You may have a very rare car. I have seen lots of 65 caprice cars, and they all match up correctly. I can't see why the wagon would be different. The Caprice was new in 65 as a package, and by 66 had it's own name and was the top of the line, I just have never seen one like this.

jeff

1 - 20 of 47 Posts