Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to swap my rear deck speakers: JVC DRVN CS-V6937 6X9s for a set of FREE :yahoo: INFINITY REFERENCE 6923i 6X9s. I'll begin with saying the baskets on these INFINITYs are A LOT bigger than stock of the JVC. A lot of trimming was required to get them to fit the plastic speaker brackets. It is best to use some 100 grit sand paper to open the brackets up more, NOT A UTILITY KINFE!!!!

After a trip to the ER for some emergency sewing on my wrist/hand I got them installed. 4 stitches later its all buttoned up.

TOOLS NEEDED :
10mm wrench
flat screwdriver
t15 torx bit

THIS IS FOR IMPALAS WITHOUT A FOLDING BACK SEAT, BUT REMOVING THE BOTTOM WOULD BE THE SAME...
on the outer edges of the bottom seat cushions stick your hand under and give it a firm tug strait up,pull pretty hard almost like your trying to break it. (I'd say the latches are around 10 inches from the outside edge) get your hand in there as far as possible and pull. the bottom will come out.
then undo the 2 10mm bolts holding the bottom of the back seat in.
after the bolts are out pull strait up on the seat back to release the top hooks.
then you have 4 plastic nuts that hold the package tray cover in place, remove these clips. bow the center of the package tray cover up and it out from underneath the side panels.
now comes the fun of removing the speakers...
push in on the black retaining clip.
grab a screw driver and pry up between the black plastic mounting bracket and the sheet metal tray.(it is glued in very good)
remove the 4 t15 torx screws holding the speaker to the bracket and swap em out.
reverse steps to re install.
I do have BOSE with an aftermarket Head Unit.

I am blown away with the difference in sound! They are so EFFING loud to not be amped. These do not distort like the old JVCs did. I need to swap out for some good 6.5s in my doors now! With the volume maxed the front distorts like crazy, but these do not produce any audible distortion at all. I set my bass at -3 since I have 2 10in subs for the boom boom.

Attachments

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speakers?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The JVC drvn speakers fit without modification, but the INFINITYs were bigger. I just sanded away some plastic on the inside of the brackets to set them to fit, and had stretch the bracket a bit to get the torx screws to line up.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I haven't been able to bypass the BOSE yet.
The factory amp is 2 ohm I believe
Infinitys are 2 ohm
I can remember what the front are, I know they are some cheap junk dual speakers from advanced auto, I'm guessing 4ohm.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No sir these thing can be pushed to full volume without any audible distortion. They do lack bass, but that is what my subs are for. They give me a surround sound effect, especially listening to my favorite groove metal. The guitar sound is amazing, and the snare drums damn near bust my eardrums. I love it! You can hear each note individually. I can't tell I have front speakers now tho :giggle: These are so much louder you can't hear the front door speakers siting in the drivers seat. I had to go a day without rear speakers because of the ER emergency, and I couldn't tell a difference without the JVCs. But now its amazing!

Reactions: volume

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to make a video but my phone mic blows. It sounded like pure shit on it :crybaby2:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Ouch man! Be careful next time. I would have used a hot knife/soldering iron or a dremel. Oh well, you live and learn. So, you are still powering them with the stock deck and rear amp (base models have them don't they?)? I would also like to replace my speakers eventually as my sub overpowers them. You should consider buying the bypass harness if you have a rear amp. I have heard many people stating big improvements even with stock speakers. But, many have stated you must be careful with the bass as you can blow them/distort.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the bypass harness, it doesn't work with mine. I'm gonna have to take it to an audio shop to bypass I guess.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Hmm have you tried the old fashioned way? Do your color coded wires match up with the ones on the "impala how to site"?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, it didn't match so I look apart the harness and matched them up according to the site and it still didn't work

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ha ha... I just installed 6x9 Sony's in the rear of my '01 Impala today, also cut up pretty bad. Though in my case, seems the last owner at some point shattered the rear window, so, when I slid my hand under the rear dash I found some broken glass. :S

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Scotty, Man i am about to the rears in my 04 impala ss.. thanks for this it helps! but im doing my front speakers and man what a PAIN im about to just ditch the fronts just leave the stock because i cant find anyone that has a good solution! maybe you did your front 6 1/2? Im in there and im looking at the wiring digram and the x-over is actually coming from the Amp. so its leaving the amp with the tweeter and woofer. Chevy's great engineering right there! any suggestions? Also did you have trouble with your Harness im using the metra GMOS and my front speakers and sound quality was really degraded?

·
Registered
18 Posts

i changed my rear deck a little bit. makes working on the speakers way easier
(i hope i posted this right, im kinda new here)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts