Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm at 121xxx I need to service my trans, money has been tight until I got my taxes

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I'm at 121xxx I need to service my trans, money has been tight until I got my taxes
2nd that. Waiting on taxes to see how much $$ is left over after my top end, etc

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'm figuring I'll have it done when I get the allignment after I put my kybs on

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
went with strut plus

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
went with strut plus
Front and rear's? I would replace the top mounts/bearings also esp the fronts as they tend to rust out and see more wear (more wight in frt obv).

I wish I would have replaced the top mounts when doing mine as they are now making a clicking noise from the slop/play. Just another thing to add to the gigantic list I have.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I thought the strut plus came with top mounts too

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I thought the strut plus came with top mounts too
Does it show them in the picture or description? If not then, no. Most struts do NOT come with top mounts and they are quite expensive for what they are. They run about $20-30 a piece on rockauto.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
for the drain and fill how many quart does it take?
Taken straight from the second link:

Fluid capacity; fluid change: 4.2-6.3 qts (4-6 liters)

I would poor in 5qrts and let sit for 10min to allow fluid to transfer to the pan then, check again. Fill as necessary, wait again then, check again. It all depends on how much was drained. Their is no exact amount of fluid to be replaced.

·
Registered
222 Posts
A warning from the one link I provided is that the fluid temp has to be correct to get the proper level. Much like the auto trans in my FJ, a solid page of warnings in the shop manual that if the fluid level isn't within 20 degrees of the specified temp, the level won't be correct.

My 2012 owner manual claims 5 litres or 5.3 US quarts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just bought a 2010 impala with 63k on it, the tranny fluid is a lil brown and im coming from a ford taurus with pan drops every 30k. Whats gm's msi on tranny pan/ service?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I'd suggest every 30-40k miles. Replace fluid and filter. I do not suggest a fluid flush

·
Registered
231 Posts
oh yea never, on all our cars i do pan drops and filter changes. at work tho we do flushes only up to 100k or if its been serviced before we do it. we do pan drops if the coustemer wants it but our transmission service is a flush.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the 2012 impala does not have trans filter. only got a drain plug am planning to do a drain and fill at 30.000 miles (no flush) what you all think?
Changing the fluid at 30K won't hurt anything. The 2012s do have a filter...but it's wedged in between the two halves of the transmission so changing it requires a near complete dis-assembly of the transmission. Good for you for not buying into the GM lifetime Dexron VI baloney!

I agree with everything the OP said. If you take care of your vehicle it will last a long time. I have a 94 Jeep Cherokee with 240K and it still runs as good as ever. Preventative maintenance is a lot cheaper than fix it when its good and broke maintenance!

·
Registered
181 Posts
GM says you should do a transmission fluid change every 100,000 miles, if you use your car for delivery/taxi/police/towing they say to change around the transmission fluid every 50,000 miles.

30,000 miles is a lot of money to waste away, with dexron 6 being at around $8 a quart it cost around $100 to change around the fluid. You'd have spent $300 hitting 100,000 when you only needed to spend $100, when ever you have your oil change all you have to do is pull the transmission dip stick to check.

It's like everyone thinks they drive a Honda lol

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
First, you can find Dexron VI fluid for as little as $5 a quart (Walmart sells it for $4.27 - can probably even get it for less on sale), but even at $8 a quart, it would still only cost $48 for the fluid (transmission fluid capacity in the 2012 6-speed transmission is 5.3 quarts). Not sure how you came up with $100 per change for the fluid! :)

Second, just because GM "recommends" 100k mile change intervals, doesn't mean that is whats best for your car! Do you *really* think that 100k mile recommendation is some kind of scientific number? In my experience, manufactures tend to give the best-case scenario in their "recommendation" numbers - not really "real-world" numbers.

Third, I'd MUCH rather spend $150 to change the fluid 3 times by 100k miles than spend $2500 on an transmission rebuild! Again, it's called preventive maintenance. $150 per 100k miles is absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.

Based on the fact that the previous transmission in the Impalas was known to fail before 100k miles (sometimes more than once!), I don't think $150 is that big of a deal in order to help prevent such early failures. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't - but for $150, I'd rather be safe than sorry! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 40 of 49 Posts