Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im putting this up to kinda show, say that all is a learning process. I have used ideas from all ove, and a few of my own, to get where I am happy, for the moment. Im always open to constructive suggestions and critique, just not the insults....lol so check it out, see what you think.

First set up deleting first base with sewer pipe, and home plate with a crager rim center cap

Second set up, wraped the sewer pipe in grip tape(insulating and cosmetics?) and got a hockey puck for the home plate delete. Also cheese-holed the air box with a stock filter element.

Third set up, got me a big arse k&n knock off filter, made a bracket to support it, and added length between the mass airflowsensor that was supposed to help. Note no heat insulation...but it was still in process.

Current set up. I seen the other post on here, and experimented with the mounting of the filter. Whata you know....the filter performs better when mounted on the m.a.s. So I fabbed outa sheet metal a "box" put the hole in it which supports the filter, and used sheet metal screws to secure it. I lined the top and hole with sliced vacuum line to eliminate sharp edges...painted it ,and wala! It seals to the hood liner very well.

If it doesn't keep enough heat out, I may line it with a heat reflecting material like a car windshield fold out heat thingie (?) Cut it,Glue it on the outside, and paint it black.... But thats yet to be seen. What do you think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, the chrome breather is a Autozone cheapie for a small block chevy valve cover...I used it for the intake of the electric smog pump. I still need it for smog inspection here in Tucson, and since the intake side went into the stock airbox, it seemed smart to give it something to breath through.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Nice to see the evolution, tried a LOT of stuff on my car over the years with pics of little of it.

On the CAI thing the only comment I would have is once you start making power and moving some air I have found some issues with MAF mounted filters, a little length of pipe and making sure the screen in the MAF should be all that is needed.

Most of the problem I saw though was with a filter with the inverted cone in the end mounted right to the MAF. It seemed to make flow uneven across the MAF and mess with readings. By the time I would expect to see an issue though you will probably be well beyond emissions compliant.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Leave the screen in unless there is a good length of straight pipe in front of it. For the MAF to work right the airflow needs to be consistent across the whole cross section, that is what the screen accomplishes. On some other model cars they come without a screen because the plumbing is such that the airflow has settled by the time it gets to the MAF.

I should say too that far as having issues with the filter mounted MAF, that started when I was making a couple hundred hp more than stock. My car took a BIG leap a little over 5 years ago. I went from a super mild cam only setup to a top notch heads/cam setup all in one step, added something like 100rwhp in one weekend. There is a lot of room in between there that I don't have any experience with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts