Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I drive a 2001 Impala Ls. I'm the 3rd owner of this custom ordered Impala. I am slowly breathing good life back into it regardless of it's mechanical and electrical issues. So glad I found this forum cause I can use all the helpful info I can get in order to fix her up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2001 LS 3.8L with VIN_K. Have replaced both cv axles, all 4 wheel hubs, both sides outter and inner tie rods, ball joints, both front strut assemblies, rack & pinion bellows, both front rotors(and brakes all around) front top motor mounts and tranny mount, fuel pump and fuel level sensor. Im sure I'm missing some minor tune up and regular maintenance but too much normal repair to list. After all that in one weekend I have a clicking in my front driver side area when turning at lower speeds and when backing straight up or straight forward from a stand still. It really sounds like bad/damaged driver side cv joint/axle but it is brand new. Not sure how to figure out if its my steering knuckle bent or if my new cv axle or wheel hub was bad from the stor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my driver door window switches and new headlights in today so going to install those and start to figure out other issues she's having which seems to point to bad or failing BCM. Really wondering about the BCM because of all it does on this electrical nightmare car. Not sure if i can do a diy reprogramming on a replacement BCM like I did on another vehicles few years back by turning ignition on before unplugging the bad one leaving key on and plugging in the replacement BCM then immediately starting the car back up. So the info the old BCM fed the cars system with the key on programs into the new BCM once the car is started (never turn key off till you shut the started engine off after it runs for about 10 minutes) unsure if this will work but usually if power is never severed no info in the system is lost so none needs to be reprogrammed in from an external source (dealer/Tech2). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well tried to post pics but can't. Keeps telling me the file is to large. I will keep trying.

·
Super Moderator
18,404 Posts
Well tried to post pics but can't. Keeps telling me the file is to large. I will keep trying.

if you use a free hosting site like ImGur you can use the settings to size your pics. There are other sites as well....Just post the url to the pic!:eek:k3:

·
Registered
63 Posts
WOW a lot of work! But it will be your favorite ride in no time! No money wasted on an Impala. BTW welcome aboard.

I use IMGUR and when I click on a pic to enlarge just copy Image address and on your post use the mountain icon & paste link into the field. Also make sure your cursor is in the right place of your post before you paste the pic link for correct placement. After you paste the link, hit OK and the link will show up in the post & when you save the post the pics will be included.

Here's mine:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured out the new cv axle is fine but the new wheel hub assembly and new strut coil assembly are both bad. So i will be making two part stores very unhappy unless they give me trouble on replacing them, then I will be make them extremely unhappy for a while. On another note I did find my BCM fuses needed replaced (did it) and the car ran better and my information lights on dashboard straightened up and my ac started blowing again and my traction control warning quite coming on as well as the security and battery light. But 34 hours later some of the same problems started again so time for a new BCM.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
But 34 hours later some of the same problems started again so time for a new BCM.
Before you replace the BCM, try this: With the battery disconnected, remove and re-insert each BCM connector a few times. This will help clean the pins inside the connectors. Part of your problem my be resistance in the connectors due to galvanic corrosion. This procedure will help reduce it. (This is the procedure specified in the technical service bulletin regarding the SECURITY light.)

HTH.

Doug

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Welcome! Some of those issues are common and unrelated to the BCM. Namely, the ABS/TRAC OFF lights are usually due to a bad or broken wire in the speed sensor harnesses going to the front wheel hubs. Dorman sells replacements.

BTW, I have a 2000 LS parts car, still has some decent interior trim and some electronic stuff, let me know if you need anything.

Good luck with the new ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts