Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 25th, I won a 2012 Impala LTZ with 189,694 miles and a salvage title from a Copart auction. It was listed as undercarriage damage, so it didn’t get many bids. I won it for $675. Out the door price including delivery to my house was $1,078. After backing it off the trailer and pulling it in the driveway, I put it on jackstands and looked over the entire undercarriage of the car very throughly. I found a gash in the sheet metal where somebody had hooked a chain up and ripped through it. The splash shield was destroyed, and some exhaust hangers were missing. That was the damage it was totaled for. After doing a thorough inspection of the entire car, I discovered it needed new tires, new brakes, new wheel bearings, rear struts, all fresh fluids, and some other miscellaneous things. Also the drivers side door handle was broken. The first thing I did was replace the driver side door handle. Then I replaced the splash shield, the exhaust hangers, and the front impact bar which was rusted through. Rest of the car is very clean rust wise, there was road salt trapped there. I put in a brand new OEM replacement set of headlights, because the originals were in rough shape and very cloudy. I replaced the battery, the brake calipers, pads, and rotors all the way around, wheel bearings all the way around, rear struts and rear sway bar links, changed the oil, changed the transmission fluid, flushed the cooling system, replaced the air filter and cabin air filter, and also two blend door actuators (of course) the wiper blades, the power steering pump and serpentine belt, the front sway bar, and got a brand new set of four goodyear all season tires. Replaced all four center caps and got a brand new set of lug nuts. Also had to replace the purge valve solenoid. As for the gash in the sheet metal underneath, I hammered it back together as a temporary fix. On July 16th, I drove it to a local shop that performs Pennsylvania Enhanced Safety Inspections. I had them replace both front tie rods and perform an alignment, and they did the Enhanced Safety Inspection and filled out all the paperwork. Took the paperwork to a local notary, and got it registered. They mailed the PA Reconstructed Title. On July 20th, I took it on a 400 mile road trip to West Virginia and it did great! Ran and drove flawlessly. I have put about 2,000 miles on it since I got it, and it’s been doing amazing, especially for the mileage. I have $2,393.74 in it total investment with everything including the $1,078 purchase price of the car form the auction. Here’s some pictures, let me know what you think! I’m sure there’s a lot of stuff I left out.

Photos from the day it was delivered, March 31st.

Photo of when it was a work in progress.

Full interior detail performed by yours truly.

Dropped off at repair shop for enhanced saftey inspection to apply for rebuilt title.

Passed with flying colors, and a 2014-2016 Limited LTZ parked next to it at a local restaurant!

Photo taken at the West Virginia welcome center during my first road trip with it!

Photo taken today.

Total Investment: $2,393.74
Comment if you think it was worth it! I think it was. I love the car. In my local market I could probably get $3,500-$4,000 with the R-Title.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice work, Evan! May it serve you well.

I always enjoy reading about a vehicle that has been rescued from a trip to the bone yard long before its time.

Reactions: evanmelton

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work, Evan! May it serve you well.

I always enjoy reading about a vehicle that has been rescued from a trip to the bone yard long before its time.
Thanks! Yeah I’m glad I was able to put it back on the road. Nice Limited btw! Looks great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great work! I also have a 2012 with 180k+ miles. Where did you get all those parts for $1300??
Thanks! I had a bunch coupons and discounts codes for various auto parts stores, and tire rack was having a huge sale at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts