Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, I tried searching but I don't see anyone else having this problem. In the winter when I start my car and turn on the defrost it blows for like 2 mins and then my windows will start to fog up. I have been driving and I have my defrost on and when the car reads the outside temp being 32 or drops down to 32 my windows fog up even with the defrost on. I know that the A/C is supposed to get rid of moist air but no matter what whenever the temp drops to 32 my A/C light turns off in my car and when I push the button, it just blinks 3 or 4 times but it won't come back on. It can be on 33 degrees and it blows fine and as soon as the outside temp in the car shows 32, it's like the A/C compressor turns off and the most air starts coming back in. Now mind you, it's still blowing hot air, but it's not hot dry air, it's whatever is outside and with me living in Alabama I need my defrost. Can you guys help me out with this problem/issue? Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm trying to bump my thread up because my car is still doing it. I thought it was at 32 degrees but it's actually at 34 degrees that the car's A/C compressor or whatever it is that takes the moisture out the air stops working. So at 35 degrees it works, when it gets down to 34 degrees it stops.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
So are you referring to the rear defroster or actual defrost option for the vents on the windshield? I'm pretty sure the AC will not work or turn on below 32-34 degrees due to the cars programming.

Edit: read around some and they say the cutoff is 34-39* for no AC in the Haynes manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, as @KG says, my 2012 owners manual says that the AC compressor will not run when below 40F.

Although, I must say - I've never had any issues with the windows fogging up - regardless of the temperature. I do have to use the defroster at times, but it works well regardless of the temperature. It almost sounds like you have an air leak somewhere. Has the windshield been replaced? Maybe it's not sealed properly...

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry, it's a 2008 Chevy Impala. I don't understand why they would do that. I don't see anyone else's car doing this. My car windows go back to fogging up and it's still blowing hot air.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Supposedly, the do it to protect the A/C system (I think). But again, if your windows are constantly fogging up, I think that points to another issue... That shouldn't be happening on a normal basis.

And when I do have foggy windows when it's cold out, my defroster takes care of it immediately. I suspect you have another issue causing this problem.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
This happened to my windows a couple of days ago. I think there was just a lot of humidity in the air. After I scraped the ice off the windows, and turned on the car's defoggers, the side windows got really fogged up and it was hard to see. I wonder if the window tint is causing this?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
No issues here with my windows. Even with the tint. Mine will get foggy if I get in my car and it's cold out with out remote starting my car the humid from my breathe with begin to fog up the windows.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry, it's a 2008 Chevy Impala. I don't understand why they would do that. I don't see anyone else's car doing this. My car windows go back to fogging up and it's still blowing hot air.
I have started having the same problem with my 2008 Impala just in the last couple of weeks. Once the temp drops below 35 all window instantly fog up and won't clear no matter how hot the defrost is blowing. Thought maybe it was being caused by cabin filter needing replaced. Did that and it didn't help. There seems to be plenty of air moving through the vents but the hotter I set the temp the worse it fogs or the longer it takes to start clearing. It never completely clears the windows unless it is above 35 outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2008 Chevrolet Impala's front defroster also doesn't work at the 32-34 degree range. It can be dangerous as the windows can instantly fog up while driving. I've replaced the heater core which made no difference. I've tried temperature control on hot and cold. I've tried lowering the rear windows. Nothing works, short of rubbing the windows with a cloth to clear them.

I took it to the dealer who had never heard of the problem, but it seems well documented on the Internet.

Hope someone has figured this out by now.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
My 2008 Chevrolet Impala's front defroster also doesn't work at the 32-34 degree range. It can be dangerous as the windows can instantly fog up while driving. I've replaced the heater core which made no difference. I've tried temperature control on hot and cold. I've tried lowering the rear windows. Nothing works, short of rubbing the windows with a cloth to clear them.

I took it to the dealer who had never heard of the problem, but it seems well documented on the Internet.

Hope someone has figured this out by now.

Thanks for the help.
Do you get good airflow from the defroster vents? Are you getting hot air? Does the AC compressor come on?

If it's fogging up quickly with the defroster running, there has to be a source of very humid air which is condensing on the windshield.

All I can think of is a clogged evaporator drain causing condensate to accumulate in the ducting around the evaporator and somehow getting blown onto the windshield where it will quickly frost on the cold glass. But that seems far-fetched. That would mean the hot side suddenly stopped as if the heater core suddenly went cold while the AC continued running (as it does when the defroster is selected). Have you noticed any intermittent heat on other vent settings?

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you get good airflow from the defroster vents? Are you getting hot air? Does the AC compressor come on?

If it's fogging up quickly with the defroster running, there has to be a source of very humid air which is condensing on the windshield.

All I can think of is a clogged evaporator drain causing condensate to accumulate in the ducting around the evaporator and somehow getting blown onto the windshield where it will quickly frost on the cold glass. But that seems far-fetched. That would mean the hot side suddenly stopped as if the heater core suddenly went cold while the AC continued running (as it does when the defroster is selected). Have you noticed any intermittent heat on other vent settings?

Doug

Yes, there is good air flow to the windshield when the heater control is set to defrost. Remember this only happens when it's about 32-34 degrees. The windows can fog up very quickly, and no amount of defrost air will touch it. Tried to force the A/C on, but that won't happen. You would think the drain wouldn't be the problem since I replaced the heater core thinking that would solve the problem. There was never any antifreeze smell in the cabin, so in retrospect, I don't think it was a heater core problem.

Also tried changing the temperature of the air blown onto the windshield, but that also was not effective in removing it.

Thanks, Doug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
P.S. And it's not just the front window that is effected. All the side windows also become clouded so you can't see out. This can all happen very quickly when going down the road, and could be dangerous if I didn't have a rag ready to start wiping the inside of the windshield down. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
when you turn the heater control to warm, is it feeling any warmer than when on the cold settings?

i typically have a heavy fogging issue in my car so i leave the windows cracked/on defrost during most trips in the colder months. but typically if i'm willing to fry my eyeballs from the heater it takes care of it. was your car in an accident? maybe a window/door isn't sealing right anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as the temperature is above 34 degrees, the defrost works just fine. 32-34 degrees, windows all get coated and can't see out without wiping with a rag.

Thanks again.
Leon

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
I'm thinking that the AC compressor is not coming on in the Def position and drying the air.
I'm also thinking that the fresh air door is not opening and it's stuck on re-circ

In the def position can you hear or see the AC pump engaging ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got this problem now on my 2006 chevy impala.. Did you ever find out what it is? I checked the AC compressor on my impala at the 34 degrees and the clutch isn't spinning. When the temperature is higher, the AC compressor clutch is spinning and everything works

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
well if you end up needing a replacement compressor on the ac compressor i just did one on my 2010. i would avoid the $115 part from ebay however. i swear it or something else is still making noise after replacement. however changing it with 2 people was a breeze and 3 bolts. i gave it a 2/10 for difficulty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts