Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS OR MY 1994 CHEVY CAPRICE, not the 2010 I sold .

When I purchased my 1994 caprice it had already been maintained and driven by a family . It originally came with the 4.3 option, but the previous owner has done some work . IT NOW HAS THE LT1 . Great condition, runs good, always at 212 degrees or so unless ai am idling for a long time with no air flow, then I flip a switch, which turn on my radiator fan and its perfect . Like I said, the engine was swapped, I have done the swap before once, although I didn not do the one on this car, I still haven't looked to see what cars my engine and computer came out of but I know sometimes there are slight differences, or some people know a better/more efficient/easier/cheaper/etc way to do things, and would like to get a full understanding of what I have and what I need to keep an eye out for ., but last two days Ive thought about a couple things ...

My overflow tank/reservoir only has the bottom hose connected, the top is PLUGGED off.. . So basically I am thinking that, I have either a pressurized cap, or whatever coolant is in the engine is always in the engine without doing a FULL cycle...... IS THIS OK ?? Should I connect a hose from the tank to the engine ? If do, where is the inlet on the block ....? Thanks

Also, my first leak I noticed a couple drops of brake fluid on passenger front-mid side . Probably lines, hoping not broken or leaking caliper or O-RING .

ANY thought, input or EXPERIENCE especially with the explanation of our reverse flow coolant and if I can make it better or if Im in danger of ruining something with too much pressure .

THANKS ALOT !:beer:

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Where does the coolant line from the back of the heads up along the passenger side of the intake run too?
Stock was to the tb and then the TB was plumbed to the tank.
A 94 stock likely had that line to the tank and then also a line from the tank to the top of the radiator.

These run hot stock fan temp wise.
IMO manual fan switches are an indication a stupid person worked on the car. If someone wants the fans on sooner the pcm should be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there ar two hard line hoses that run along side the passenger side by on the manifold . there is also a plug/connector .. the TB has the top line insertes, but the top line does NOT go anywhere, it is cut off just like the hard none below it both near the rear of the engine .

above that, there is an OPE UNPLUGGED PCV valve in the throttle body.....

below all that, the bottom hose is connected to the engine, which I am assuming is where the cold water flows . Has my engine been filled with coolant and plugged so the coolant is all it has to run on ??? WHat about pressure issues ??? I want to hook this up the most efficient and what will treat my engine thbest . should I connect a hos from my reservoir to where the hardline is on the passenger side near the top ???

Thank you for the response . IOt runs great and seems like whoever had it before me wanted a drag car, flowmasters let out UNDER car, @(% size tires in rear, very quick 1st gear ratio ....

ADVICE ???

Thanks , I wish I could take it to someone who has done many swaps just to take a look and tell me what needs to be watched .:gaah:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Try making a video showing the lines and where they are running. This would make it soo much easier to follow. Have you checked a haynes manual for the cooling system diagram since the caprice was available with the lt1?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not checked the Haynes manual, hat will probably be a good investment in the near future though ...

Here is an engine pic, one line from the overflow, two hoses to the top and bottom of radiator ..

I guess I could be making a complete round through the engine, if the tank is just overflow, and it does have the pressure cap . But it still does not explain why on one day a week it leaks some coolant from the rear passenger side of the engine block at the top near the steam vents .

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts

my 4.3 is set up like this also , but my 5.7 isnt , the 5.7 has the second hose off of the overflow going to the radiator ! i too was wondering what the difference was between the two ? i know the 5.7 puts off more pressure thus the reason for the green hoses , but have no idea why one hose dosent run to the radiator on the 4.3 !?:WTF:

·
Registered
432 Posts
You should only have one hose running from the tank to either the tb or the hard line along the intake manifold. The two hose you guys are talking about were part of a recall back in the day. Nothing crazy, just GM had complaints of the engines not reaching operating temps good enough. So they either cut and capped one hose or replaced the tank with the newer version with one outlet for the smaller hose.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, makes sense . I guess the coolant makes is rounds through the two major hoses at the top and bottom of the radiator, and only uses the overflow when it gets hot enough to boil over into it .

Thanks for the information .

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
my 4.3 is set up like this also , but my 5.7 isnt , the 5.7 has the second hose off of the overflow going to the radiator ! i too was wondering what the difference was between the two ? i know the 5.7 puts off more pressure thus the reason for the green hoses , but have no idea why one hose dosent run to the radiator on the 4.3 !?:WTF:
There isn't any difference in the way things are hooked up, and the cooling systems should be identical. The 5.7 does not run higher pressure, the green hoses were only on the police models, not for higher pressure, but for longer service life.

Reactions: Papa D
1 - 9 of 9 Posts