Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 9c1 caprice will go into first gear but will not down shift back too first at the start of a complete stop it will stay in second and go too the rest of the gears my transmission runs and shift great,but ever time i stop at a light it is in second and i feel like a old lady because the car is so big and start off in second gear has bad pick up for a big car somebody help me out:eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
If I remember correct the 9C1's have a first gear lockout or something like that. At the tranny where the shifter linkage goes to the tranny, there is a tab bolted to the linkage pivot point. If you remove the lock tab then its disabled. Perhaps some of the NAISSO, ISSA forum guys, or others can help me better with this. On my 96 9C1, I just put in OD and never had a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked on the transmission i did not see it i saw a pic on ebay how it looked ,but did not see it. it is big enough so i know i did not miss it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tranny...

The first gear lockout was just a tab that disabled the gear shifter from being jammed into first by a cop who was going to be in pursuit/stop premature tranny burnout. I would say it is just a matter of RPM's if you are trying to go from second to first. Might be something in the PCM, like trying to shift into first gear when the RPM's are too high on a manual, you sometimes get backlash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts