Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if its possible to replace the air inlet components with just a cold air intake? i think the mass air sensor is making my caprice run like it wants to cut off! ive replaced everything i can think of!! dist.cap/rotor, plugs/wires, coil, fuel pump/filter. its still idling/missing very bad like its going to shut off like it did before and didnt start! any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks!!:mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
So Buy A New Mass Air Flow Sensor Or Replace It With A Pontiac F Body Sensor

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
94 95 96 MAF are the same. Before buying one check all your connections and grounds. Check the plug of the MAF as well. This may not be airflow related. Preform a simple fuel pressure test. You are looking for about 40-44 PSI fuel pressure with the car on or off.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Don't use one off an F-body. For one, an L99 car is not going to need that kind of air flow potential. Two, the A/F ratio calibration is going to be all wrong, with the F-body MAF. Stick with the smaller B-body MAF. I have never had one fail on my LT1 cars, but I did have one fail on a Ford 4.6L. It ran really rough at idle, and just struggled to run. Popped a new one on from a parts car, and all was well. I would assume an LT1/L99 car would act the same. Un plug the sensor, and see how the car runs. All of them I have driven, will run decently with the MAF unplugged. I forget to plug it back in, ALL the time. Once, I went on a 120 trip, and then realized it was unplugged when I got there. The CEL will come on, but mine had already been on, so I didn't notice. Two days ago, I worked on a 94 Roadmaster while I was in Florida. As we took it for a test drive, the guy was curious why the CEL was on now. Opps... I know what I forgot to plug in. Thing still ran smokin' fast.

But, if the MAF is screwed up, and it's plugged in, the car will run like crap, or possibly not even start. I know my 94 Fleetwood refused to start once, when the MAF resistors got covered with the oil off my K$N filter. I got a can of electrical parts cleaner a block down the street, and sprayed the resistors when I got back to the car. Fired right up. I had read earlier that week, that the filter oil and screw with the MAF. I had just put that CAI kit on the car, so I knew right away what the issue was. I have not had an issue with the filter oil since, but I don't over oil them like that anymore. Plus, I clean the MAF resistors often. It seems like the throttle responce improves when they are not covered in dirt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
make sure you/or a mechanic didnt accidently connect the wrong o2 sensors to the wrong plug i replaced a bunch of shit only to find out that a mechanic had plugged the wrong sensor into the connector on the wiring harness, car misfired like it was its job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts