Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up my impala early this spring. i used to have a turbo'd cobalt with bolt on's and a ton of other parts. so i decided to get rid of that and pick up an impala. so this is just the start of my 'mods'. most will be appearance.

the day i brought here home
[/URL][/IMG]

i put some HID's in. i had retrofit headlights in my cobalt,but HID's in stock housing's will do..for now haha!

decided to plasti dip a couple of things just to see how i like it:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

i just did the upper grill to see how i would like it. the stock grey colored grills look terrible. much better with the black. will be doing the lower grill black before football starts tomorrow!

thats all i have done for today. getting my windows tinted on tuesday and will be plasti dipping some more stuff. not going to go over board with this stuff. but this is my first time using it so it will be a trial and error type deal!

ill have pictures asap of more stuff i did!:eek:k3:

·
Go Get It
15,060 Posts
So far so good :eek:k3:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man. i dont want to over do it! was suppose to go have some cocktails with some friends but i ended up not going so i did this

[/URL][/IMG]

i really want to do something with the fake wood grain stuff on the dash, so maybe this week i may attempt to take it all off and plastidip it. or have my buddy spray it. i may end up plasti dipping the wheels once i get tint

·
Breathe Easy
1,374 Posts
Nice looking Imp! :eek:k3:

Definitely take care of that crappy wood grain! I can provide some insight to painting it if you need any help, as I've done it before. Impala2007 can help you as well.

If you're just dipping it, I'd go silver. Mwilson62000 did that and it looked awesome.

:beer:

·
Go Get It
15,060 Posts
It depends on the interior color. If you've got a black interior, I say paint it white (nice and glossy). If you've got a tan interior, I say dip it black.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have black interior. was thinking of doing white or black. i dipped a couple peices by the shifter today, it was a wood grain peice. just waiting for it to dry.

i did the lower grill this morning. stupid liscens plate holder.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
You may run into issues when dipping with the grille still on the car, since you can't get the backside of it - will probably peel pretty easily. I did both front and back and still had issues with it peeling relatively quickly (few months). I'd definitely at least take the plate holder off (just two screws holding it on!).

I actually ended up replacing the grilles with factory-black versions - was only like $110 for both grilles (OEM versions, not knock-off versions). You can get knock-off versions REALLY cheap from Rock Auto as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i dipped it from the front,didnt remove the licsens plate holder. it turned out pretty good. ive never used plasti dip until yesterday basically. i think it looks good and a ton better then the stock colored grills.

cant wait til i get tint. tint makes alot of cars pop. im leaning twords like 30% tint. i had 35% in my old cobalt but it was just a tad too light.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Looks great! The black grilles definitely look alot better than the gray grilles on a white Impala!

Agreed about the tint as well - I went with 35% and in hindsight, I wish I would have went to 20%.... Problem is most places don't have anything between 20% and 35%.

·
Go Get It
15,060 Posts
That looks really good :eek:k3:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great! The black grilles definitely look alot better than the gray grilles on a white Impala!

Agreed about the tint as well - I went with 35% and in hindsight, I wish I would have went to 20%.... Problem is most places don't have anything between 20% and 35%.

yea,the guy i went to, to tint the windows in my old cobalt,said it was either 20% or 35%. hoping he can do 30% if not,i guess ill be doing 20%.

·
Go Get It
15,060 Posts
Honestly, 20% is my favorite tint level. Damn cops making me take it off =(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats what im kind of worried about. i dont like getting messed with by the cops! haha

i drove my cobalt for 2 years with 35%,loud exhaust and i drove like an dick alot lol so maybe ill just go with 35%

·
Go Get It
15,060 Posts
the 35% I have is too light. The only reason it's still on there is because I don't feel like paying to have it tinted a third time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea,im probably going to go with 35%. i never had a problem with it and ive had 35% on 3 cars now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Your Imp is really looking good! The black grilles definitely look better. I dipped mine also back in the spring I believe. Knock on wood, they are holding up great. I also put a light coat of glossifier on. With the grilles and the chevy badges, I found the coat of glossifier makes them a little "slicker" and easier to clean. I agree with dipping the wood grain. I did mine silver to match the exterior and love it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your Imp is really looking good! The black grilles definitely look better. I dipped mine also back in the spring I believe. Knock on wood, they are holding up great. I also put a light coat of glossifier on. With the grilles and the chevy badges, I found the coat of glossifier makes them a little "slicker" and easier to clean. I agree with dipping the wood grain. I did mine silver to match the exterior and love it.

i did the chrome and wood grain peices around the shifter. i did them black and i like them alot better haha even though its black and i have black interior. its a black and white color scheme haha. not sure which color ill go with the wood grain on the dash.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Pop the wood grain bezel around the radio out and dip that black and see if you like the all black look. If so, continue the black to the dash and door pieces. I would think the all black would look good. You could do it white to match the exterior, but I'd be concerned about the white dip getting dirty very easily.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts