Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Chevrolet Impala LTZ. I bought it used. I can not seem to get the radio to switch over to XM radio. I have the antenna on my roof, and the trunk has the XM receiver (or what seems to be)...I have it activated on a 2 month trial basis and nothing comes through..I push Band and it goes between AM and FM.

Linked below is a picture of the car (you can see the XM antenna)

and
The XM receiver that is in my trunk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wonder if your car had the unit replaced with one that isnt xm compatible? Does your unit have the cat button above eject?
Should be pressing the band button to get to xm stations. Did you look to see if there was a way to turn it on or off? Any after market wiring done like after market amps?

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
How did you get the XM ID to activate it? Did it show on the radio display (it should have). If the radio display showed the XM ID, then the radio is definitely XM-compatible. If you had to read the XM ID off of the XM tuner in the trunk, then you probably don't have the correct radio installed (for whatever reason).

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonder if your car had the unit replaced with one that isnt xm compatible? Does your unit have the cat button above eject?
Should be pressing the band button to get to xm stations. Did you look to see if there was a way to turn it on or off? Any after market wiring done like after market amps?

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
I do have a cat button above eject...Now that you are saying about that-there are wires, under my backseat-when i flip it up-they are cut, but they are thick as hell, and are ground wires. When I push CAT it says XM Feature. But when I push Band it goes from FM to AM...I do have XM favorites on my favorite list-but none work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you get the XM ID to activate it? Did it show on the radio display (it should have). If the radio display showed the XM ID, then the radio is definitely XM-compatible. If you had to read the XM ID off of the XM tuner in the trunk, then you probably don't have the correct radio installed (for whatever reason).

I used my VIN instead-it has an activation feature through Sirius XM using the VIN

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

And-When I talked with someone from SiriusXM they gave me my radio ID-and its LAWUN08W-which is the last digits on the sticker in the trunk unit.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
So you can't get the XM radio ID to show on the radio display? You should be able to. If you can't even see Radio ID on the radio screen then it sounds like there might be something wrong with the radio - or the radio isn't communicating with the XM radio in the trunk for some reason... It sounds like you have the correct radio though. Strange.

Pressing the Band button should definitely take you to the XM tuner - even if not activated (that's how you get your XM radio ID - by switching to the XM band before activated).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you can't get the XM radio ID to show on the radio display? You should be able to. If you can't even see Radio ID on the radio screen then it sounds like there might be something wrong with the radio - or the radio isn't communicating with the XM radio in the trunk for some reason... It sounds like you have the correct radio though. Strange.

Pressing the Band button should definitely take you to the XM tuner - even if not activated (that's how you get your XM radio ID - by switching to the XM band before activated).

That is correct. Unable to access my ID on the radio. Bought the car used-and chevy wants 125.00 to just look at it-plus w/e it costs to fix it

·
Registered
588 Posts
IT almost sounds like someone has put in a Aftermarket system in your car in the past. THe big wires you were talking about may have been for the Aftermarket Amp.. So it could be that the person that did the install didn't do it nicely and may have bypassed your extra wiring for your cars XM...

You may want to look in the trunk make sure the plug is plugged in. Also look behind the radio and make sure all is connected back... It could be that the person that did the install in the past cut out the wiring. Then the person to make it work only got the wiring for the normal radio... Sadly not everyone is kind when doing installs and don't do them to make sure they can replace stock radio back to factory specs when they want to sale the car....

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry having computer issues. That is only half my answer lol.... For your radio to XM there should be 5 wires running between them...

Left Audio + Brown/White
Left Audio - Dark Green
Right Audio + Dark Green/White
Right Audio - Grey/Black

Another Dark Green is GMLAN Low Speed data

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry having computer issues. That is only half my answer lol.... For your radio to XM there should be 5 wires running between them...

Left Audio + Brown/White
Left Audio - Dark Green
Right Audio + Dark Green/White
Right Audio - Grey/Black

Another Dark Green is GMLAN Low Speed data

James
I'll have to have a look at that then thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Behind your radio you could have plugs like this and maybe they cut them out and only replaced the ones that make the radio work...

Also the wires would be twisted together so it would be not to hard to find the data Dark Green from the other one related to signal

·
Registered
260 Posts
techchef, I am no electronics wiz but if it turns out your radio is bad I have the factory stock radio which I removed from my 13 LTZ I'd be glad to give to a fellow forum member. Also just a quick note here, Jtrosky, and myself, and others have been upgrading our radios to the Rosen GM PD1010 radios with nav. They can be found on eBay from a seller called Memory-U. Usually around $150.00 for radio, Bose harness, and GPS antenna. Search "Rosen" in the forums and the thread should be listed.

Reactions: techchef

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
techchef, I am no electronics wiz but if it turns out your radio is bad I have the factory stock radio which I removed from my 13 LTZ I'd be glad to give to a fellow forum member. Also just a quick note here, Jtrosky, and myself, and others have been upgrading our radios to the Rosen GM PD1010 radios with nav. They can be found on eBay from a seller called Memory-U. Usually around $150.00 for radio, Bose harness, and GPS antenna. Search "Rosen" in the forums and the thread should be listed.
Much appreciated-I contacted a friend at Chevy and waiting to hear back from them-seeing if its something obvious i am missing...If it comes down to being a shit radio-I may take you up on that offer...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Much appreciated-I contacted a friend at Chevy and waiting to hear back from them-seeing if its something obvious i am missing...If it comes down to being a shit radio-I may take you up on that offer...
Not a problem. If it does turn out to be a bad radio send me a private message with your shipping information and I will be happy to send it right out to you. In all actuality it is a brand new radio out of the box. I had to have mine replaced under warranty because it was not releasing my CDs. So the dealership replaced it with a new unit.

Reactions: techchef

·
Registered
588 Posts
Radio replacement may be the way to go. Between the 2 units there is only the 5 wires, 4 for right and left audio and the data line. If you have the way to check with a DMM or a test light maybe look and see if there is wire at the XM unit. At the unit it would be the 16th Pin, and Red/White. This goes from there to the Onstar Fuse. If the Onstar fuse is missing or blown that XM unit won't power. Looking at your pictures looks like there has not been any work at the radio that could mess up your wiring.

James

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Just remember that if you get someone elses stock radio, you're going to have to pay a GM dealership to reprogram it for your vehicle. Personally, I would just put that money towards a Rosen instead - you'll be MUCH happier with the Rosen anyway (in every aspect)!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just remember that if you get someone elses stock radio, you're going to have to pay a GM dealership to reprogram it for your vehicle. Personally, I would just put that money towards a Rosen instead - you'll be MUCH happier with the Rosen anyway (in every aspect)!

OK-So I took it to where i bought it and they..err..can't seem to figure it out...they say that since i have the antenna and i have the receiver that it should be working...(yeah-they were not a real big help)...Pretty much I am down to three options...
1)I wait it out-take it to Chevy and pay 95+ dollars and have them tell me WTH is wrong with it
2)I take NY13LTZ up on his offer, and pay Chevy to reprogram it
3)I get this Rosen...

Question about the Rosen, Do I have to run any specific wires-or do all the ones that are with the car already work?

·
Registered
260 Posts

OK-So I took it to where i bought it and they..err..can't seem to figure it out...they say that since i have the antenna and i have the receiver that it should be working...(yeah-they were not a real big help)...Pretty much I am down to three options...
1)I wait it out-take it to Chevy and pay 95+ dollars and have them tell me WTH is wrong with it
2)I take NY13LTZ up on his offer, and pay Chevy to reprogram it
3)I get this Rosen...

Question about the Rosen, Do I have to run any specific wires-or do all the ones that are with the car already work?
Techchef me personally I would do the Rosen upgrade. That's what I did and why my stock radio is in a box. Personally Jtrosky is right. Do the Rosen!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts