Impala Forums banner

my 2003 impala had to have the gaskets replaced on the manafold, after picked...

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  GrizChev 
G
#1 ·
...up, it has no power what is wron first of all, i lost power, it would fall flat on its face when I drove. I took it to the garage and was told that the radiator fluid had went into the mainafold and that the gaskets would have to be replaced. While getting this replaced the thermostate was also replaced. I got car back and I still dont have power. It is hard to get the car above 40 miles an hour. Okay I will be starting out to drive i can get to about 20 mph and then I loose power. I let the peddal up and push back down and i have a little power then again all of a sudden I loose power again. I was told by freiends it could be the timing belt or the fuel filter please help

#3 ·
3.4 Litre?

All the GM v6's that would have been available in your car did not have a timing belt, they would have a timing chain. Also, the timing is not adustable, so that would rule that out.

As an aside - those motors use two different length pushrods, and if you aren't careful, you can put them in the wrong homes, and cause all sorts of unique concerns.

#4 ·
I have the exact same problem.

I am right in this guy's boat, and I'm missing my paddles.

I've never had a problem with my car, and I absolutely love it. But, just recently on a very long trip, I lost all power. I replaced the LIM gaskets, and after doing that, I'm completely without power. Acceleration is sluggish, with occasional surges and sputters, there's a loud 'exhausty' sound coming from the engine compartment when I hit the gas, and I have to struggle with it to get it up to speed. I have another long trip to make soon, and I am worried the car won't make it (2000 miles).

I've had codes read, and they've indicated low thermostat reading (there's gunk in the coolant, and I'm going to do a backflush), and a bad reading on the EGR circuit. That code cleared itself. I've done a suck test on the FPR, and that was fine. Exhaust is coming out of the pipe smoothly, for the most part. No big hiccups, at least. She idles great, and you can rev her up with no problems when she's just sitting there. Put her in gear, and try to drive away, and there's just nothing there. I'm out of ideas, and out of money, too. I could *really* use some DIY tips, if you guys have anything you can think of.

Thanks!

#6 ·
my 03 impala lost power all of a sudden one day when i took off from a stop sign. slowly got worse after awhile. my engine would rev up but just wouldnt go fast or anywhere above slow. got hot quicker than it should. bad egr code. it was my converter all along. i cut it off with a sawzaw and welded a new one on. got 90 bucks for my old one too and the new one only cost 80!

#7 ·
After about 80-100k cat's are DONE.

#9 ·
^^ I do not have alot of personal experience with replacing cats. I am personally going to be replacing the whole downpipe with a stainless steel.