Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it's true. Every parent's worst nightmare. The phone rings and your child isn't home yet. His picture shows up on the caller ID. It's late...The things that go through your head. I answer and he said, "Dad I just wrecked my car." I immediately asked if he was okay and he said yes. Threw on my clothes and headed out the door. No time to fuss on the phone. Main thing is he was okay. I'll find out what happened when I get there. A couple county deputies were there when I arrived. Turns out he was avoiding hitting two deer that ran out in front of him. He was less than 2 miles from home. He swerved and over corrected and ran through the ditch into the woods. He said he wasn't going that fast but I know he was going faster than he needed to be. The car went through the ditch and was stopped by a tree. Too dark to take pictures that came out clear. The wrecker took it to the body shop and I'll look at the damage more tomorrow. From what I can tell it's a lot of damage to the front and right side. The left wheel was straight while the right wheel was turned in at least 45 degrees. The airbags didn't deploy and he said he only bumped his knee and that he is fine. He as on his way home from a basketball game.

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
1st off; I'm very glad he's alright! Y'all are lucky! :eek:k3:
My Wife lost a 22yr. old cousin just last week because he was trying to pass a semi on a 2 lane road, around a curve...

Secondly; That's a "SAFE" excuse... Don't let him off that easy!
The next phone call may not have a happy ending...

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Glad to hear he's ok! cars are replaceable not kids

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Glad to hear he's ok! cars are replaceable not kids
2nd that :eek:k3:

He probably would have been better off hitting the deer than hitting a tree though. Not something you think about in those split seconds though.

Law states: Drive at the speed of the road conditions.

Law enforcement can give you a ticket for doing the speed limit or even less in harsh road conditions.

Did he get in any kind of trouble? With law enforcement that is? :giggle:

This experience should have been an eye opener for him. Unfortunately past experiences are the only way to accomplish this. My friend was the same way. He was always drifting around in 4wd and thought he was safe. Until, he lost traction and went off the road and hit a telephone pole at 55+ and totaled out his 96' cherokee that he had just put over $1k into (header, exhaust, etc). Luckily he had his seat belt on but, he still smashed up his face and legs pretty good (scars are for life). He has since slowed way down (less than speed limit). It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are or think you are :yikes:

·
Banned
667 Posts
Yes it's true. Every parent's worst nightmare. The phone rings and your child isn't home yet. His picture shows up on the caller ID. It's late...The things that go through your head. I answer and he said, "Dad I just wrecked my car." I immediately asked if he was okay and he said yes. Threw on my clothes and headed out the door. No time to fuss on the phone. Main thing is he was okay. I'll find out what happened when I get there. A couple county deputies were there when I arrived. Turns out he was avoiding hitting two deer that ran out in front of him. He was less than 2 miles from home. He swerved and over corrected and ran through the ditch into the woods. He said he wasn't going that fast but I know he was going faster than he needed to be. The car went through the ditch and was stopped by a tree. Too dark to take pictures that came out clear. The wrecker took it to the body shop and I'll look at the damage more tomorrow. From what I can tell it's a lot of damage to the front and right side. The left wheel was straight while the right wheel was turned in at least 45 degrees. The airbags didn't deploy and he said he only bumped his knee and that he is fine. He as on his way home from a basketball game.
Get the black box data , it will tell you how much he was actually going.

expect it to cost about 5 grand to fix it

dad smashed into the guard rail and the wheel on the driver side. He fell a sleep at the wheel . air bags & driver curtain airbag did not deploy. (driver curtain airbag was a option on the 2000 model)

Seriously it's hard to lose control of this car.
Unless you fall a sleep,going above 75-80mph+, have cheapo old tires, bad/worn out power steering unit (makes a huge difference on the sensitivity)

After I changed my out with a new one it's much tighter steering + less sensitivity = better control. (prevents over correcting)

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

dad smashed into the guard rail and the wheel on the driver side. He fell a sleep at the wheel . air bags & driver curtain airbag did not deploy. (driver curtain airbag was a option on the 2000 model)

Unless you fall a sleep,going above 75-80mph+, have cheapo old tires, bad/worn out power steering unit (makes a huge difference on the sensitivity )

After I changed my out with a new one it's much tighter steering.
Hard to lose control of a car? Not true!!

It all depends on the road conditions and the driver. Even the best of driver's end up in the ditch :eek:k3: Sure, good tires and a well maintained vehicle help but, that's not the major factors.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Hard to lose control of a car? Not true!!

It all depends on the road conditions and the driver. Even the best of driver's end up in the ditch :eek:k3: Sure, good tires and a well maintained vehicle help but, that's not the major factors.
power steering unit has the most effect.
worn out one will cause over correcting issue since the sensitivity will be high.

Before I replaced my I was all over the place like a drunk driver. Sensitivity was way too high. Continuously having to make corrections even at lower speeds.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
power steering unit has the most effect.
worn out one will cause over correcting issue since the sensitivity will be high.

Before I replaced my I was all over the place like a drunk driver. Sensitivity was way too high. Continuously having to make corrections even at lower speeds.
True it will cause over-correcting. But, just because you are a great driver (so you may think) and have a reliable vehicle doesn't mean sh!t. It's the other idiot drivers you have to worry about in harsh conditions.

Your driving is only as good as your reaction time and the drivers around you :eek:k3:

Quote that :yahoo:

·
Banned
667 Posts
True it will cause over-correcting. But, just because you are a great driver (so you may think) and have a reliable vehicle doesn't mean sh!t. It's the other idiot drivers you have to worry about in harsh conditions.

Your driving is only as good as your reaction time and the drivers around you :eek:k3:

Quote that :yahoo:
:p

Lot more careful while driving . just the other day stupid driver pulled out without checking his blind spot from a BUS.( second gen white Nissan Xterra) Had to slam on my brakes. I was expecting him to pull out I was going about 45-50mph . This is a 4 lane main street you have to wait for traffic or pull out were there is a street light.
I did warn him by tapping on the horn. before he pulled out.

No excuse for him since he could have waited for the bus(his blind spot) to leave . and I have DRL (so he can not say he did not see me.)

2nd time I almost got hit in that area

1st was some Mexican driver (this guy all most hit me a few days before when he fail to stop/yield to cross traffic in a parking lot ) I knew it was the same guy since who the hell drives a cheap white late 80's toyota dully.

2nd was above.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
So, in short.... Your only as good as the drivers around you? Correct? Yeah

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
Banned
667 Posts
So, in short.... Your only as good as the drivers around you? Correct? Yeah
yeah I always USE the routes with traffic lights . people are crazy up here.

very cautious when the light just turns green since people like running red lights here. The light had been red for a while for them (since the left turn light was activated )

since a speeding car could have taken off the front end of my car. both roads was a equivalent to a 6 lanes (very wide intersection) I was all ready passed the cross walk just entering the intersection.
I had some really close calls.
luckily at the time I was having transmission issues other wise I would have taken off since 50+ cars in the west/east bound lane was stopped waiting for me.

Would have cause a pile up in the west bound traffic lines. could have been a disaster for that red light runner

Attachments

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^^ ouch that would have sucked. I have been looking at vehicle camera's for a while now (1yr or so). I have never found one I liked in my kinda price range (under $180 or so). I want a camera with HD (720 or 1080), remote trigger cable via ignition, rechargeable battery, car charger, and memory card slot (SD or Micro). I have been looking at the "Veho Gumball 3000" for a long time now. Does anyone have one or have experience with "auto camera's" with the requirements?

·
Banned
667 Posts
^^^ ouch that would have sucked. I have been looking at vehicle camera's for a while now (1yr or so). I have never found one I liked in my kinda price range (under $180 or so). I want a camera with HD (720 or 1080), remote trigger cable via ignition, rechargeable battery, car charger, and memory card slot (SD or Micro). I have been looking at the "Veho Gumball 3000" for a long time now. Does anyone have one or have experience with "auto camera's" with the requirements?
impala has power to the 12v plug all the time so it may drain the battery(at lest it does to the rear one if you have that option.)

this is the Bus blind spot I was talking about.

See were the blue car on the left(bottom photo). that is when I saw him start to pull out (I think he did not see me or was checking)

started tapping my horn & braking were the Tan honda was

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
I'm glad your son is OK. I think if he had a few more years under his belt, it may have turned out different. Unless the roads were icy....At any rate, whats important is, he learned a good lesson. At the sacrifice of his car, maybe, but he is OK.

·
Banned
667 Posts
to settle it the best turn I made was right here middle lane to the right lane. I had to also avoid some cones also.

got sun blinded and a huge amount a glare from the sign so I could not see which ramp I needed to take tell the last min.

yes, the tires did squeal a little bit

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts

Unless you fall a sleep,going above 75-80mph+, have cheapo old tires, bad/worn out power steering unit (makes a huge difference on the sensitivity)

After I changed my out with a new one it's much tighter steering + less sensitivity = better control. (prevents over correcting)
This is pretty mis-informed.

Are you talking about data stored by OnStar? Is that possible?

It is not hard to lose control of an Impala. They handle pretty good, but in any car it is easy to lose control. Have you ever driven in the snow?

"At least 5 grand to fix"? Are you an insurance adjuster? Have you seen the car? What is this based off?

If your "power steering sensitivity" can hinder your driving ability, you probably should not be driving. Steering "feel" can be important, but that's not something any of these cars have very much of.

Sorry for calling you out, not trying to be a dick, but I'm just not sure where you're coming from with any of this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for your concerns. Thank God he is fine and walked away from it. I'll get pics today and post them soon. The road conditions were fine. It hasn't rained in a week and not cold enough for ice here. But the road is curvy and the speed limit is 45. No he didn't get any citation. The deputies on the scene were cool. His mom and I will talk to him this evening about it in more detail. We tell him all the time to be 100% completely honest with us. If it were a deer then fine. If it wasn't a deer and he was just going too fast then be truthful about it. I didn't want to hound him last night about it because it was a pretty scary moment for him. One of the deputies said that he tell his driving class all the time that unless it's a Horse, Cow or Bear then hit instead of trying to avoid it.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
glad your son is OK, hope thing turn out for the car also.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Glad he is ok as well, that's a pretty scary scenario. I talk a lot of trash about these cars, but they are pretty safe.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts