Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I should start putting my cars history together a little. This is my "04 Impala LS. (Below if I've done it right should be a picture of my car as it looks in the summer... if not look at the bottom of my post). Because I apparently have no pictures of it from the front in the winter as it is right now. (Has stock rims for winter as I'll touch on next)

The second picture is my current favourite picture of my car from the rear as it is. There you can see my good ol' stock rims. Which by the way look leaps and bounds better than my old, beat up temporary rims in picture #3. I got them cheap from a lot somewhere up here. Used to belong to a late fourth gen Buick Regal. Not the 1996 Regal I used to own, Just some random one.

They actually used to look even worse before they were on the car but one of my fathers co-workers was generous enough to really help make them look much better. Wow did he do a good job, I used those rims to good effect. Anyways I'm just blabbing now. Ill just post the pics and get to the point.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Long story short I bought her from a wonderful elderly couple in 2014. Considering the car's 10 year existence at the time I'm very glad that it only had a little over 70,000 kilometres at the time I made the purchase and is still in great condition to this day. Also I wan't to say, I tend to ramble a bit so if you want to skip the me stuff, go to paragraph four.

Simply put the Gen 7 Impala has always been one of my dream cars, beginning because of my love for the... I guess I'll call it iconic? rear end. :eek:k3:

To keep it simple I've always been a guy for the aesthetic, even if the aesthetic I am for is not shared by others. While I do enjoy the look of Muscle cars or Super cars I don't need to be in one nor do I desire them for the purposes of showing off to other people. I understand that my preferences are entirely subjective. That being said there aren't a ton of cars I Don't like the look of. Partially due to the fact that I understand there's always some sort of audience out there for every design. If the person that built it was satisfied, there's gotta be someone out there that can appreciate it as well. A wise man once told me, There's an ass for every seat...Beautiful.

Back to my car, first and foremost I bought headlights: Spyder Auto | Chevy Impala 00-05 Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo - LED ( Replaceable LEDs ) - Black - High H1 (Included) - Low H1 (Included)
Quite simply because I got bored and typed "aftermarket 2004 Chevy Impala" into Google images... oops, More money spent! They were a way to make the car feel more like it was mine. I know I'll want to own the car until the frame is a crisp so I'm not worried about resale value or what someone else thinks of the car. I highly recommend these lights. Just type the name in the search bar on this forum, you'll find me and a few others talking up Spyder's products! Keep in mind as well (More me stuff by the way) This is coming from someone who hates advertising so much he's done all he can to remove it from his life. It's impossible to avoid nowadays and good for the economy and standard business practice, gets information out blah blah blah... Heck I know I've fallen for it myself! thus highlighting the main reason it bugs me so much. Enough about that though.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ps. I will be consistently making one post a day in this thread till I run out of ideas

Thank you so much for your time. :beer:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Keep it up man! Love to hear about the 7th gens :)

Reactions: David3800

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, this next addition is coming with a bit of a warning. I bought splash guards for my car a while back, they are the ones pictured below. There was no problem with mounting them front or back, but I am having other issues. The splash guards are designed that the side facing the tire is hollow. I thought it was odd but put them on anyway. Essentially what it boils down to is every time I drive anywhere I have to use my snow brush scraper to remove blocks of hardened snow.

Of course this happens to the front most frequently and I'm pretty sure that it is a fairly common thing. My biggest concern is that because the snow block is so large it may get heavy enough that it may cause deformation to the Splash guard and affect the vehicle. Maybe this isn't that big of a deal but I care a lot about this car so It's only natural that I worry.

This morning when I got out to get the block off I was in a little bit of a rush. I wanted to double check that to see if anything might be going wrong.

Also, this post took longer because pesky work stuff got in the way. Better later than never I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here Is a picture of the splash guard on my car this time, in the front Night+flash+phone cam has made the photo look pretty flat on my phone, hope it looks better on the computer. Also, I Know talkin about Splash guards isn't the most exciting thing but I did want to warn you guys about this potential issue. I'll get the car washed and look for any warping tomorrow. After taking a look around the car I think I can see some...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well! the 29th seemed to have escaped me there. So I'll just post two updates. After today I'll consistently post. I gotta remember to keep this up!

Ok, my next purchases were my rims. Touren TR60's, the ones you've seen in my first post in this thread. Just wanted them because to me, my stock rims looked too bright in contrast to my cars paint. I didn't want black rims so I wen't with these.

So, here's the next I was talking about in my first post I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Nice wheels. I'm considering some for mine but not sure at this point. Did you get those from carID?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got them after calling a Tirecraft down in Edmonton. I told the man what car I had and when I went down there he showed me the options from a booklet. I just picked them out from there! Despite how much time I've spent on Carid I've only purchased my headlights from them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Aaand for number 2. Glad I missed yesterday because this one would have been a little lame on it's own... Floor mats!

Long and short of it, Needed them. We get ridiculous amounts of snow up here some years in Canada. While I do make a point to attempt to get as much snow off as I can. I of course can't get all of it off and I don't expect friends and family to be as mindful as I am. Was a good thing to put on my Christmas list.

I had floor mats but these new ones are much deeper and wider.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As you can see and have probably seen in your own car. A lot can build up pretty quick despite being overly cautious. Can't wait till summer when I can get a full inner / outer clean done.

Sorry there was quite a delay between this post and the last. Got a couple things going at the same time. Then I decided to use my camera, find the cord that I don't even know if I had and get it set up and stuff.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick story for those who don't mind my rambling. Had a bit of an odd experience at the car wash yesterday.

The line for the wash bays was insane when I went yesterday. So, I decided to go through the automated wash because there was only one car in the wash bay and a Camry waiting at the pay station. The Camry went in after the first car left and got the wash. After it ended, I saw the Camry Through the plastic of the bay doors proceed too far forward before the door was even one fifth open. Triggering the sensor to stop opening the garage door. The car moved back and forth a few times before the garage door on my side opened where I was supposed to enter.

I then saw the great work of the human body and brain in full view. The woman in the Camry was too far forward, so she then proceeded to back up too fast, passing the point she was supposed to stop at. The machine was telling her when to back up or go forward and when to stop. After she repeated the excessive motions a few times, I backed up to give her room to back out my way. She just kept doing the same thing over and over again. She even decided to connect her rear tire against the guide rail on the left side a couple of times. You know, because jerking the wheel of an originally aligned car on a straight pathway was clearly the solution. Soon enough, the Garage door on my side closed... she then got my $14 wash. Not the most money I know but given the circumstances it felt pretty crappy. Especially since I was sitting out with my dirty, salt covered car behind the now double clean Camry. I had been stressing about getting the car washed but my work schedule doesn't allow me to get off when any car washes are open. Or at least any touch less ones. I don't want those spinning ribbon things touching my car.

anyway, as the doors were going down I got in the line for the regular wash. I was going to speak to the owner and see what could be done. I'm a pretty relaxed guy so it was either something or nothing, no stress. basically I was ready to take the loss. Long and the short, I got inside, parked my car in a bay, explained the situation to the owner. (I didn't ask for him, he was just the only person working there. On a busy day like that I Felt kinda bad to bug him about this.) He then walked down with me to the automatic bay where we saw Mrs. Camry doing the same thing again. This time she had done something to get the garage door jammed. I really hope it wasn't a result of her bumping into the door... Anyway, The owner paused the operation of the wash, messed around with the door or maybe the track a bit, lowered it and let it rise to let the lady out. Before she drove off or maybe a little bit before that, she looked out the back window at me with a face like she was going to tell me off or something. She faced forward again and drove away. Before that had happened I was concerned she was confused or something. Working in a hospital helped me think that way. Now I know she was just odd. :devil

Me and the owner walked back to the bay where my car was. He rung me through the machine. I thanked him and made sure to use only $10, just because I was glad for his help. Also because you can get a really good and speedy clean when you don't have to keep going back and putting in tokens, I would've had to get pretty creative to find more stuff to clean.

So that's it, shout out to Big City car wash and that gentleman that helped me out. I hope the day wasn't too crazy after that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, Last big update! This is one I've wanted the most for the longest amount of time. My new double exhaust system!

Loved it so far. My only request was that it not make the louder if possible and I will post a video (Sorry it's so dark... and quiet) at the end here to show what it sounds like. but without further ado, Here are some better pics then what I've shown before:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops! sorry about that. Wrong camera setting. Ill go take the pics again

·
Registered
260 Posts
David I have always been a great fan of the 7th gen Impalas. After my Cruze Eco was wrecked I took a couple of months to find my new commuter car and couldn't find a 7th gen with the 3800 and lower mileage in my area of New York. Hence my 2013 8th gen. I wish you the best with that awesome car of yours and I love your mods so far! Please continue the updates!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, I made posting those pics way too hard for myself!

I've just learned a whole load of stuff about file conversion and my cameras settings...

Well, That's it! That's all the changes I can think of right now. May not have been too exciting but I've got more planned for the future. Just walking around the car and taking pictures this evening gave me some new ideas. (Like seeing that rock coming through the frame in some of the exhaust pictures I was taking. I know it's hard to see but that and the rust down there just look gross.)

little things include a new signal switch in light of issues with my High / Low beam function! I underestimated how much better a new switch would feel. The jump between the switch feeling loose and kind of spongy. Before hearing a quiet little click and the end of travel. (Not to forget the 50% high-beam success rate.) To the now silent but solid clunk sound with defined points of resistance made my car feel a little less it's age. I might just get addicted to replacing parts now! ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
David I have always been a great fan of the 7th gen Impalas. After my Cruze Eco was wrecked I took a couple of months to find my new commuter car and couldn't find a 7th gen with the 3800 and lower mileage in my area of New York. Hence my 2013 8th gen. I wish you the best with that awesome car of yours and I love your mods so far! Please continue the updates!
Thanks a lot NY13LTZ! I got extremely lucky with this car, and like it so much that I'm looking into a secondary vehicle to keep the mileage down. I bought the car in 2014 at 74000 - 76000 Km and I'm crawling up to 100 now... as you can see I've tried pretty hard to keep it from increasing too fast but the thought of my car crossing that milestone just bugs me. Not to mention the salt ad crap that gets everywhere in the winter conditions we typically get up here. I'm trying to Delay the inevitable I guess!

:beer:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks a lot NY13LTZ! I got extremely lucky with this car, and like it so much that I'm looking into a secondary vehicle to keep the mileage down. I bought the car in 2014 at 74000 - 76000 Km and I'm crawling up to 100 now... as you can see I've tried pretty hard to keep it from increasing too fast but the thought of my car crossing that milestone just bugs me. Not to mention the salt ad crap that gets everywhere in the winter conditions we typically get up here. I'm trying to Delay the inevitable I guess!

I hear you and completely agree with trying to keep the mileage down however I like you said all we are doing is trying to avoid the inevitable. I would say don't worry about the mileage and drive the car and enjoy it. One day when the car is gone you can look back and say how much you really enjoyed owning it as opposed to what a battle it was I just trying to keep it mileage free. Great cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed while we travel the roads of life. Remember it's not the destination but more so the ride itself.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hear you and completely agree with trying to keep the mileage down however I like you said all we are doing is trying to avoid the inevitable. I would say don't worry about the mileage and drive the car and enjoy it. One day when the car is gone you can look back and say how much you really enjoyed owning it as opposed to what a battle it was I just trying to keep it mileage free. Great cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed while we travel the roads of life. Remember it's not the destination but more so the ride itself.
That's actually a really good way of looking at it! I got a lifetime to enjoy the pictures I've taken and the experiences I've had owning it. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts