Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting two magnaflow mufflers ( installed on my 07SS. I simply want the shop to cut out the factory mufflers, and weld in the new mufflers.

This shop inparticular has come highly recommended by a friend, but i wanted to check up with the experts (yous guys) to see if theyre shop rate calculation holds water... They said to do the work will take about an hour and a half at a rate of $95.00 an hour.

They told me that if they purchased the mufflers for me, Id be looking at about $215 PER MUFFLER including install... this means that they would be charging around $140 per muffler.... I found the same part number muffler for about $70 a piece on eBay which is what is making me think that they may be full of it. :dontknow:

·
Registered
371 Posts
That sounds a little high to me, but then I'm also a cheap ass. I also doubt that it's as simple as a quick cut 'n' weld. I'm sure they'll have to fab up a hanger and do all that stuff.

Keep in mind, just because ebay has them, doesn't mean that a store can't shouldn't charge more. They're charging more because they have them and they can charge more. I'd make some more phone calls.

I am looking into getting two magnaflow mufflers ( installed on my 07SS. I simply want the shop to cut out the factory mufflers, and weld in the new mufflers.

Chances are if you tell them where you found them, they might come down a little or they may tell you to shove it.

This shop inparticular has come highly recommended by a friend, but i wanted to check up with the experts (yous guys) to see if theyre shop rate calculation holds water... They said to do the work will take about an hour and a half at a rate of $95.00 an hour.

They told me that if they purchased the mufflers for me, Id be looking at about $215 PER MUFFLER including install... this means that they would be charging around $140 per muffler.... I found the same part number muffler for about $70 a piece on eBay which is what is making me think that they may be full of it. :dontknow:

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I realize that, but I just suspected that the muffler price was high. I understand that eBay is a different market classification than :eusa_think: the rest of the world... but if I can have BOTH bought and shipped for less then they are willing to sell me ONE for... that seems excessive.

And it is just as simple as a cut and weld... I have seen their work and they do extremely high quality work.. perfectly clean and sealed welds... but the mufflers I'm looking at allegedly (according to this particular shop) are a perfect fit. Im not even getting new tips.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
check Jegs/summit etc for the p/n & $ expect another 20% or so if bought locally. The install seems a bit hi, but depending on where you are, it may be decent. dont forget you usually get what you pay for when it somes to stuff like welding ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Magnaflows

i really like the Magnaflows, their website has a cool sound clip if you are curious, just go through the site, you'll find it easy. I was thinking the same thing, replacing stock mufflers with magnaflows. Anyone know about the resonator? Magnaflow makes one, of course. does the factory resonator quiet the mufflers? how pissed is my wife going to be if I put these mufflers on? :smile:

·
Registered
574 Posts

Well $95 an hour seems high to me, but it all depends where you live and if that is the going rate for the area. Around here it is more like $75 or so...

If you can get the same muffler cheaper I would do that and then have the shop install them. You don't want just any hack doing the work. WIth a few exceptions, you get what you pay for...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts