Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought everything I need. 3 coil pack, 3 interface modules, 8.5mm wires and the DIS-4. I know how to hook up everything, but the interface modules to the DIS-4 and how to then hook that to my factory ignition system. BTW, i have a 3.4L(207) motor, no sure if it makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
3,945 Posts
Seeing as ignition "upgrades" are pointless on the mid naturally aspirated 90s stuff that still had distributors. I don't think I am going too far out on a limb to say you should return all of that.

I know mine is a very different car, but if the GM ignition system with distributor is fine on my Caprice at nearly TWICE stock HP level, I see no reason to believe that your newer distributorless car could benefit atall.

That said, the first thing I did to this car was an "ignition" upgrade and all it did was wear out plugs and cause problems I had a hard time finding. More recently I tried another system because I wanted the rev limiter, if anything the second system I tried slowed the car slightly in the 1/4 mile.

The 100k tuneup interval really made them bring their A-game to the ignition systems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont plan on keeping my car naturally aspirated for too much longer. Looking to turbo it at the end of summer. Never the less, Im doing the ignition system to help the low end. 3500 rpm and under. I only rev up 6100 rpm so I make a lot of power in the lower rpm range. The MSD gives me better throttle response and better ignition in the rpm ranges that my car needs it most. No really a pointless upgrade, well for hp it is since it wont give me any, but for what im looking at it should be good. But thanks for the input and thoughts.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You're wasting your money with all of it. Not only is he right about the ignition upgrade being pointless, but the money you are going to blow on a turbo system isn't going tomnet you the power you could have attained by going to a 3800 supercharged for way less money. Do your research before you make plans, talk to wanderson and 04detroitls, they know what to do with the 7th gen cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not to mention all msd shit is junk. Did you even bother comparing the volts of the stock pack to your performancepack ? Bet msd isn't even close.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I came to the wrong place for help. I asked how to install the last part of the system. I dont care what anyone opinions are about MSD or their products. My plans for the turbo upgrade are just that. They are MY plans. Thats what I want to do. Ive had a Grand Prix 3800 sc before, Im just not a fan of sc. I guess that my opinion, so I'm going the turbo route. Sorry if not everyone agrees. But building a V6 is obviously different than a V8 and everyone builds everything different and builds it the way they want it. If I wanted the be boring I would just go out and buy a new car with a built V6 already(ie the new GTR or Ford SVT, or even the new Camaro has a 300+ hp V6 stock).

Never the less. Thanks for not helping me in what I needed. Next time one of you has a parade let me know so I can go rain on it in return. You just gained and lost a forum member already. Congrats.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You obviously aren't looking for help, you want to know how to install your crap parts? Read the directions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did want help cause the directions are a like vauge. It covers all 4-6-8 cylinder cars without distributers. But its fine, I found help somewhere else. Although your calling my parts crap. Who puts Pirelli P5 tires on an american classic. Those are great for imports, my buddy has a set on Nissan 240. Why not stick to the originals like Firestone, BFG, or Good Year. See, its not nice when someone else knocks your stuff. You put those on cause you liked them. Good for you. I like MSD. So Im putting it on my car, nuff said. You do what you want to your car and I'll do what I want to mine. Just like in grade school again, if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say it at all. Its simple. Its nice. But apparently its not the way you are. So good ahead and continue to do as you do. And I'll do what I do. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that my car is a race car. Or ever will be one. But if MSD really does suck as much as you all say it does then why does almost every pro racer in any form of racing(drag, circle track, rally, and so on) use them. So clearly they must not be that bad. Maybe for my use they might be anything special, but they obviously have done something right.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'm just pointing out that you don't seem to have a performance goal, you just want MSD ignition and a turbo. I guess that's fine for you, but we are trying to explain that for the money you are spending you could have something a lot better. You want to use my tires as an example? Ok, say I wanted to buy color smoke tires for about 3 times what these cost, I can't even do a burnout. Maybe the smarter choice would be tires that have traction and last a long time. It's funny too that you want more low end power, but somehow think a turbo is going to help. Turbos take time to spool up, they can't make power at low rpm because they aren't working.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My point with the turbo was that I already have a decent amount of low end power, I need more top end, which is why I want a turbo. Yes a 3.8L engine is better than my 3.4L but Ive done a lot of research on both engines. The 3.8L engines prefer superchargers however the 3.4L get much better power with a turbo.

Anyways. The whole point to this was supposed to be how to finish this install. Not the ins and outs of what Im planning on doing. So basically anything you guys say not related to the install of a full MSD Ignition system on a 207 motor impala is pointless. Now all we have is a worthless thread about turbos and MSDs that now useless for anybody in the future that wants to do this. Instead all the get is a bunch of people and their opinions about certain applications for certain parts. Honestly, can we just delete this thread.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Track tests. And what I've seen at the track. Almost all 3.1L and 3.4L GM engines I've seen boosted(whether it be sc or turbo) the turbo car always seems better. However, with the 3800 sc always seemed the way to go. I can only think of a few times I've seen a turbo 3800 be better than a 3800sc. Turbos just seem to produce better performance when used on smaller sized engines.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Must be a very different area than mine. Ive honestly never seen a boosted 6 banger run at our drag strip ever, with the exception of a Buick grand national, or a 9 second toyota Supra that run regularly.

Mostly American v8s. with the exception of the occasional tuner hoping to beat one, which hasnt happened yet again the 9 second supra is the exception to this rule. Although he cannot run anymore, because he doesnt meet the safety requirements of the track to be running 9s.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Byron Raceway and Route 66(Joliet Raceway) up in Illinois. They run a series of races there for GM V6 cars. I've been in Florida for 4 years now, but i raced that every season for 5 years before I left. Everything from Berettas, Luminas, Impalas any GM with a V6. It was very competive. But a lot of fun. Its amazing what can be done to a V6.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and youve never seen a boosted 6 banger run at a drag strip before. 350z, 300z, 3000GT, GTR, G35, SHO, Optima, Dodge Ram, Saab, Volvo, Benz. And those are just the cars that have the turbo from the factory. Not counting the countless turbos that people do aftermarket.

BTW, the Supra is a twin turbo inline 6. Not a single turbo V6. An inline 6 puts out about the same hp as a V8.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Byron Raceway and Route 66(Joliet Raceway) up in Illinois. They run a series of races there for GM V6 cars. I've been in Florida for 4 years now, but i raced that every season for 5 years before I left. Everything from Berettas, Luminas, Impalas any GM with a V6. It was very competive. But a lot of fun. Its amazing what can be done to a V6.
i kjnow a few boosted 3800s in that neck of the woods... turbos ive seen DEF perform MUCH better than the SC'd 3800s, either will usually out perform AND out last the 3100/3400s

·
Registered
66 Posts
Drew, I would also have to say that you would be wrong in thinking that this thread wouldn't help anyone. I was trying to decide on whether to drop the $1000 on the full msd ignition or not. Thankfully, for all tho posts here, I find it obvious that for this application I would be pissing away my money to go with the MSD setup.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts