Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so the Impala is probably not the greatest car for people obsessed with eking out every last mile per gallon, but I am curious none the less. How good can it get? What is the average mileage you get out of your Impala? Please list the year and specific trim level as well as any upgrades that you may have made that would have likely altered the mileage.

My Impala is a 2008 SS with the only modification being a K&N cold air intake.
I am currently averaging about 22 mpg combined city and highway.

I also have a 2003 Impala 3400. It averages about 25 mpg respectively. I have managed to achieve up to 30 mpg mostly hyper-miling, but that is by no means my average.

So, how about you guys?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have a 2004 base model. No power mods whatsoever. I can consistently get 32mpg on the highway at between 90 and 110. Once I hit 120 it drops to about 28mpg.

In town.. Well, its bad. Then again I drive like an asshole so its unlikely my in town mileage will be very helpful.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given that you live in Ontario, I am assuming that when you say 90, 110 and 120, you are referring to KPH, right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At first I was like DAMN! I thought I drove fast, and this is some pretty phenomenal gas mileage for that speed. lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
15.8 mpg for me.... city and highway combined I dont know what im doing wrong. Spark plugs and wires are new and an K&N Air Filter.. BAH =[

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
canadian gallons are bigger too.

One often forgotten detail is LRR tires, we lost 10% fuel economy when we put standard tires on the wife's 03 3.4l Impala

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
when she had a longer drive to work and the original LRR tires my wife did get over 30mpg with her car.
Shorter drives even if highway will hurt mileage due to warmup being a larger portion of the total drive.

My current commute is under 7 miles each way and it is HELL on my mileage

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
My commute is 6 miles, and I average 11.5, I'm sure it would go up a little with a longer commute.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
low rolling resistance

·
Registered
158 Posts
90+% Interstate miles, running about 75mph, with an average speed as measured by the DIC at 63.4mph - averaging 22.9mpg, again according to the DIC which seems to be pretty close.

Since I changed the battery in November, and everything was cleared - this would be on winter blend gas only. The scanner consistently reports that no ethanol is in the system - 0% alcohol.

IIRC, summer mileage is about 25mpg for the same driving. On two trips to NE Indiana (Fort Wayne) with the speeds kept at 65 and 70 due to the eager beaver law enforcement seen - the instantaneous DIC economy was knocking on but not quite reaching 30mpg most of the way.

Kinda wonder about the LTZ and SS economy penalties due to the higher final drive ratios - being about 10% higher than the LT and LS. In a similar light, wonder about the long-term effects of wear on the driveline, such as oil consumption, because of the general higher RPMs for the same speeds.

Then again, I wonder a lot - such as who wrote the book of love? :)~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts