Impala Forums banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
But in terms of the Impala, for example, GM could most certainly meet are regulatory requirements without a DI engine - yet the continue to use DI engines.

Everything I read says that cars today are more reliable than ever. I don't understand where the "discrepancy" is. Again, maybe it all depends on the timeline considered. If my car is completely reliable (no major breakdowns or maintenance expenses) until 125k, I consider that to be a good car. So it all depends on what you consider the normal life span of a vehicle, I guess. Cars definitely seem more "disposable" nowadays.

But in general, people seem to feel that cars today are more reliable now than they were 10 years ago.

If DI is truly that problematic, than maybe GM sees it a win-win - people will either buy a new car sooner or pay delaerships a fortune to maintain them! Plus they can advertise more power and better MPG!

I just haven't seen the general public up in arms about their cars being less reliable - seems the opposite to me. Like I said, I just don't see the issues with the DI Impalas from the owners on this site, or the internet in general. Maybe sine we are car people, maybe we just maintain them better? That may be key too - if maintained properly, maybe they truly are more reliable.... Lots of variables, I guess.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Think we are done with the current line of discussion. Your point of view is amply clear, I believe Ive made my opinion and observations obvious as well. Clear we both love these cars and thats great.

If you come up with any different questions let me know, I feel this horse is dead.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Agreed - was a good discussion though - it's always nice to have discussions where we have different views but can still discuss something rationally! Appreciate the info!

It could just be that DI is still to new and the majority of people just haven't run into the issues discussed yet - maybe everyone will truly by up in arms about their vehicle reliability in a few more years! :)

To the OP - sorry for the HUGE thread-jack!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
another approx. year has gone past and trip B is up to 30K again. just an arbitrary number i picked. i may let it roll to 60 for next year.

25mpg over the past year is very good. keep in mind summer/winter i idle 30 min a day at lunch and drive somewhat spirited.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts