Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2008 Impala LS 3.5 Flex Fuel.
I was driving my car one day and I was on this S type road, I realized it would say "Low Oil Pressure Stop Engine " So I thought it was a sensor going bad. So I added 2 quarts of oil and It stopped saying that. I was at 91,000 miles but my next oil change was around 92,000 . I went to jiffy lube they told me I had bad oil leak?? So I looked up some home remedies I placed cardboard under my car over night and came back to leak but didn't seem so "BAD". I did it twice.. first day it was a spot and second day it was two spots.

After that I knew it wasn't the sensor. It does not seem to leak very bad. If i park and leave a location i will not see heavy fresh oil.

At Jiffy Lube, the employee convinced me it was very bad from the appearance he showed me the image and pointed it out saying " All that is oil " and it looked spreaded.

The guy at jiffy lube showed me a picture of the bottom of my car, having oil every where on the bottom. Everything had oil from the bottom.
I took the car to a mechanic and he said he cannot detect where the oil is coming from and Im looking at $600-$1,000 to get it fixed; [url=http://postimg.org/image/pp8dgltv3/][/URL]

*The picture attached the leak was near the passenger side near the right steering wheel area.

Multiple mechanics told me the top looks dry and assured me the leak wasn't coming from the top.

May this be the oil filter adapter gasket?
What can this be?

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
First, look up "instant oil place scams" on YouTube or google. You will find all those places try to up sell you and will find any reason to suggest anything. They even go so far as to have a computer that tells them your due for a "tranny flush" every 10,000 miles and that's directly from Chevy. It's total BS, they get paid to up sell you, never listen to those places. As far as your leak, I would try posting some close up pics of the underside of your car (detailed) and maybe some people on here can offer some suggestions. Otherwise I would take it to a reputable garage to look at it. Better to be safe than sorry with an oil leak, most honest shops won't charge you very much if anything to give it a quick once over. Just my .02. There's a lot of great knowledgeable folks on here who can be a good source of information.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The first thing you should do is start checking the oil level more frequently. Start off with every gas fill up. If it doesn't seem to be going down very fast, then maybe once a month. Also, these cars only hold 4 quarts of oil, so I don't think waiting until the oil life monitor is down to nothing, or close to it, is a good idea.

From the looks of your cardboard, it doesn't look like a bad leak to me. These engines will leak a little oil like this as they get older, it's normal.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
It could be possible that the oil is leaking from the oil pressure sensor due to it being faulty. Oil leaks aren't the easiest to track down thats for sure. You could get a die kit and use that to track down the leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We sir, may have the same issue. I took mine to a local Chevy dealer and they quoted me over $1,100 for manifold gaskets and cover seals. Another shop just told me now, since the oil leaking has progressively gotten worse, that my oilpan gaskets are shot. Luckily, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who I can get the job done at 15$ an hour for labor (they wanted $400 for installing new oil pan gaskets).

Check out my post, there may be some common symptoms and perhaps one of the answers may pertain to you. I can only pray that you don't have the same manifold situation I have. That would be straight ridiculous.

http://www.impalaforums.com/autocare-and-maintenance/1234857-2006-impala-oil-leaking-repairs-quoted-at-1-5k.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2007 Impala did the same thing , same area. It was the oil filter housing filter. A $ 10
dollar gasket. It took only about twenty minutes to replace it. I to was told all kind of wild stories. Try this I heard it is a common leak on this motor. Hope this helps. I also was told a oil pan gasket, vale cover gasket etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As I mentioned in another post, a mechanic told me one could go to the poor house trying to fix oil leaks. My suggestion would be to have dye added to the oil to pinpoint the leak. The other thing to remember is that fixing one leak could cause another once the new gasket(s) are under pressure. I had to take mine to the dealer three times to get all the leaks fixed. The last time they replaced the rear main seal at no charge to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Apparently the oil drain plug itself (actually there's a tiny rubber gasket) is also a common place of failure and a cheap part to replace, documentation states the plug is only good for a few changes and may leak after that...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Interesting - I've never once changed the rubber gasket on an oil drain plug - 2012 Impala or otherwise - and never had an issue. Just lucky??

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Interesting - I've never once changed the rubber gasket on an oil drain plug - 2012 Impala or otherwise - and never had an issue. Just lucky??
If you keep the mating surfaces clean - if you wipe them off when you're changing the oil - that goes a long way towards making the gasket (washer) last.

What I've seen a few times is slow dripping from the plug. I think, over time, the gasket gets flattened out and no longer seals.

I read somewhere that it's supposed to be replaced, every oil change I think. But I tend to only change it if, before I remove the plug, I see any oil on it.

Doug

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
weird, i must have gotten the good one of the batch. i had 173k miles on my 2010 3.5 flex fuel and had never replaced the plug/o-ring around it. it leaked everywhere else but there lol. i had several front and rear crank seals and some other seals replaced elsewhere on the motor. at the end it was apparently just blowing by the rings, but really by checking the oil on the weekends the loss wasn't bad enough to worry about. you could always catch it without much worry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts