Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious, what's the most mileage out there on an original 8th generation transmission (2006-present)? We all hear how bad they are, but who has got a success story?!

:beer:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Original tranny on my 2006 has 105,500. I am not the original owner. Bought from federal government as a used FBI car in 2009, and at that time it had 62,000 on it. Hoping to get it at least to 150,000!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I have one with about 170k on it, but its not the original. The original trans blew at about 75k, and I replaced it with a junkyard trans with the same mileage, now the car has 177k and its still working fine.

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
64,000 miles when it die (09 Impala 3.5L) got it replaced 6 months ago now has 7,000 and is kind of acting up again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just rolled 151,000 today. Attribute 90+% highway miles, completing the 4th pan drop and filter change last month, and driving like Grampy Geezer most of the time to the relatively long and trouble-free life thus-far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
going on 201k :hope: on original trans. 2006 Ls
Sounds like you're the winner! If I could get my trans to 150k, I'd be happy. I can say this for sure....without the Overkill tune, there's no way she would've made that. Since doing the Overkill tune, the trans has been shifting beautifully.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just rolled 151,000 today. Attribute 90+% highway miles, completing the 4th pan drop and filter change last month, and driving like Grampy Geezer most of the time to the relatively long and trouble-free life thus-far.
Totally agree. You really do have to baby these things after about 75,000. I was driving my car like a 90-year-old woman after I hit about 90,000 cause the shifting was so poor. Since doing the Overkill tune, there's been tremendous improvement, but I'm still pretty conservative with the car cause I really don't wanna have to deal with a shot tranny.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I see how yall are, prejudice to my 7th gen... :giggle:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well, for some reason, despite them being the same trans, they lasted a lot longer in the 7th gens.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I know I was wondering why this is...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, for some reason, despite them being the same trans, they lasted a lot longer in the 7th gens.
Heheheh - guess GM finally got around to figuring out how to make them cheaper. Either that, or someone pasted that 'Hecho En Mejico' stamp on 'em, which seems to be a curse and double-secret whammie for the power door locks. :)~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like you're the winner! If I could get my trans to 150k, I'd be happy. I can say this for sure....without the Overkill tune, there's no way she would've made that. Since doing the Overkill tune, the trans has been shifting beautifully.
Im quite surprised myself too. Almost everything else on the car has been fixed or replaced but the tranny is still holding strong. Now I probably just jynxed it haha.

Edit: also everything is stock except flowmaster muffler and K&N drop in filter

1 - 20 of 42 Posts