Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a disc brake rear end off a 1994 9c1 caprice going to swap it on my 1993 caprice that has drum brakes will the master cylinder thats on my car work or will i need a diferent one? And i need to have it sandblasted and rebuilt befroe i put it in can i get new backing plates or have them sand blasted and rebuild them and im not sure if thats what thier called its what the brake cables hook up to and what the cailiper bolts on to internally it looks very sount no visable wear thanks in advanced for the help vets

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would think the master cylinder should be fine. I'm pretty sure there were no changes in master cylinder between the disc and drum brake rear end cars (that's why we do the stealth brake bolt mod). For the rest, I'm not sure I understand the questions but if the rear end is in decent shape you should be able to just install it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As long as they're working mechanically, they should be fine. I'd replace those rotors though. If they spec out ok, you can have them resurfaced, but new would be better and the parking brake surface on the inside of the rotors is probably screwed too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
AutoZone lists different master cylinders for drum and disc rear cars, that would also lead me to believe that the proportioning valve is also different.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Interestnig. Is it a year-to-year change or a disc to drum change? Every explanation I've ever read about the brake bolt mod says that the proportioning valve is NOT changed with the switch to disc brakes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no firsthand experience with the 91-96 B-body proportioning valve but I do have experience with doing other drum to disc swaps and in all cases the prop valve was different. Knowing that I would think there might be a difference in the prop valves for the 91-94 B-body, of course the pressure difference could be made up in the different master cylinders. I do know that calipers and wheel cylinders operate at different pressures and volumes, and I would hate to see someone go through the trouble of doing a swap without feeling the benefits and possibly making the car unsafe. If I had more bandwidth I would do some digging around on the GM parts direct website, but it is painfully slow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would like to know is there a rebuild kit out there for the e bake lever that in this part the ones that came with it are shot this picture is just one i found on the net

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
this is the 94 9c1 rear i put in my 91 had no problems,i did have m/c problems but not related to the swap, had the complete m/c and prop.vlv assy from the donor car but from what ive heard the stock drum set up would work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts