Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I love that the ad says "reduced to move"... really?!

Im sure they get close to what they want.. probablly 20-25K

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'd buy it for 12-15K. I could buy a brand new Impala for that much money and probably the new Caprice for that. That's just BS, it's a 15 year old car. "Like New from 1996" is not the same a "Like New 2011".

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
I didn't bother opening the link. There are a LOT of sub-3000mile Impalas out there several come up for sale every year. People thought they could "invest" in a "last of it's kind" car and have it appreciate like old muscle cars did. The problem is WAY too many people tried it and the market is relatively flooded.

Even if they get $30K for a car that sold for $25k new 15 years ago someone is still an idiot losing their ass on it once you figure financing, insurance, storage, inflation etc.

And those who have bought low low mile cars and then tried to drive them endup with a complete basket case.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
I disagree with the majority. It's not worth $30k IMO. Think of it this way.....You could get a 2011 Stang GT PREMIUM 5.0 for less than that. It's a 15 y/o car with old technology. I'd say $22k MAX. I haven't seen many of these ones listed over $20k moving quickly. The market's not there, and although it's a very cool car and iconic and such, it is 15 y/o and there's more bang for your buck elsewhere. The person who buys that car will most likely buy it to hold for another 15 years or more as an investment and drive it on Sundays and bring it to car shows.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I still say someone out there will pay 20-25. And Don, Im with you on your argument, but keep in mind that value is a relative term. Would you say the same about spending $30K on a Mint 69 Camaro SS? There are people out there who have money to spare and love these cars, that would love to have a nearly never driven one in mint condition.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I still say someone out there will pay 20-25. And Don, Im with you on your argument, but keep in mind that value is a relative term. Would you say the same about spending $30K on a Mint 69 Camaro SS? There are people out there who have money to spare and love these cars, that would love to have a nearly never driven one in mint condition.
That's because people are idiots. You have people paying $1000 for a wallet. No I wouldn't, because while they were a common car back then, the amount that are on the road today justify the price especially since they are a 42 years old. It's not hard to find an Impala or Caprice with low miles that was grandma driven. I had a chance to buy one when I was looking for a winter driver. It was a 95 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon. The lady wanted 3K for it, it wasn't exactly low miles 120K, but there was no rust on it at all and was nearly brand new looking on the inside. That was a little high for me, plus she sold it to another guy a week after my dad talked to her. No one is getting a bargain on that thing. Like I said, it's not worth 25-30k and as someone else said it's a 15 year old car with 15 year old technology and power. You can get a Rustang GT 5.0 for that money and will go from 0-60 3 seconds faster, have a higher trap speed through the quarter after blazing through it in a low 13 high 12 seconds and handle a million times better and comes with Myford touch, which as bad as it maybe right now is much better than the radio in the B bodys. Regardless of how much we like these cars, the simple truth is that the new ones are better all around with a few exceptions. You can be a lover of these cars and acknowledge the fact as well. That's why we make improvements to them, we want them to be our perfect car and parts are cheap enough that we can do that, whereas that isn't really the case when it comes to newer cars.

·
Registered
913 Posts
That's because people are idiots. You have people paying $1000 for a wallet. No I wouldn't, because while they were a common car back then, the amount that are on the road today justify the price especially since they are a 42 years old. It's not hard to find an Impala or Caprice with low miles that was grandma driven. I had a chance to buy one when I was looking for a winter driver. It was a 95 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon. The lady wanted 3K for it, it wasn't exactly low miles 120K, but there was no rust on it at all and was nearly brand new looking on the inside. That was a little high for me, plus she sold it to another guy a week after my dad talked to her. No one is getting a bargain on that thing. Like I said, it's not worth 25-30k and as someone else said it's a 15 year old car with 15 year old technology and power. You can get a Rustang GT 5.0 for that money and will go from 0-60 3 seconds faster, have a higher trap speed through the quarter after blazing through it in a low 13 high 12 seconds and handle a million times better and comes with Myford touch, which as bad as it maybe right now is much better than the radio in the B bodys. Regardless of how much we like these cars, the simple truth is that the new ones are better all around with a few exceptions. You can be a lover of these cars and acknowledge the fact as well. That's why we make improvements to them, we want them to be our perfect car and parts are cheap enough that we can do that, whereas that isn't really the case when it comes to newer cars.
I agree with this guy. I've seen low mileage ones(not as low as this one) go for $10-$15k with about 20kmiles which still isn't bad IMO. Hell when I was looking at Impala's my first choice was a '96 and the 2 that I found in Houston at the time had over 120k miles and they wanted $20k+ for them. Needless to say I saw those same 2 cars sit in that lot for 2yrs before the dealership closed down.

I can honestly say that I WILL own a b-body impala BUT the first mod I do is rip out that shit box LT-1. Sorry if my last statement gets anyone butthurt.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
I can honestly say that I WILL own a b-body impala BUT the first mod I do is rip out that shit box LT-1. Sorry if my last statement gets anyone butthurt.
GMPP LSX454 with an LS9 intake and supercharger system! FTMFW :yahoo: :devil: :devil: :yahoo:

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Going to venture WAY off topic here.

The LT1 is a great little motor. Problem is the community as a whole is chuck full of raging idiots who strive to duplicate mediocrity......................................................... and do even that badly:yikes:

My car is carefully selected key components. I spend LESS by buying the best important pieces. Most try and "save" on the critical things and then piss money away on pointless things or even things that are a step backwards.
Don't blame the motor because it is owned by idiots.

I know I pissed in a lot of Wheaties there, BUT I have the timeslips and video to back up my very unpopular opinion.

Mine is still a slow street car, Pat Gish has the same heads and cam on a stock shortblock in a more race setup Impala and his goes 10.9.

Far as the original topic we see these cars listed and relisted at these prices, they sell when the price drops.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GMPP LSX454 with an LS9 intake and supercharger system! FTMFW :yahoo: :devil: :devil: :yahoo:
I agree with this guy. I've seen low mileage ones(not as low as this one) go for $10-$15k with about 20kmiles which still isn't bad IMO. Hell when I was looking at Impala's my first choice was a '96 and the 2 that I found in Houston at the time had over 120k miles and they wanted $20k+ for them. Needless to say I saw those same 2 cars sit in that lot for 2yrs before the dealership closed down.

And you will spend a shit ton of money trying to get all that to work in that b-body impala. Have fun with that.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
bah! It's just a wiring harness and a PCM tune away from burnouts all day long!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
And a crossmember modification, and a new oil pan, and different accessory brackets...

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
there's a dude stuffing a ls7 in his wagon somewhere on that site that was modding the hell out of the engine so he wouldn't have to do any of that, seemed like he had to do far less to it then the link you posted. Granted, he's a crazy talented machinist so he prolly made it look tons easier than it was.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, I remember that build a couple years ago. That is awesome he did that and put a T56 in it.

It is a big cool factor, but the guy who did this even said....Too much money.. Waste of an LS7.. Could have gone faster cheaper.

Anyway you do it .. its going to require alot of modifications.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts