Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i own an 05 impala 3.4 ,and the milage in the dash just went black, bulb maybe? everything else works as it should ,just cant tell the mileage. forgot the shift indicator lights also dont work.so i have to be careful what gear i have it in, but i"ve got used to it now,and go by feel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The instrument cluster has multiple tiny bulbs for illuminating the gages. But the odometer is its own separate thing with its own illumination....don't have experience with the odometer repair. Let us know what you find out.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
They use a vacuum fluorescent display for the odometer and shift indicator, it uses a small high voltage driver and divider for the filaments being it's a vacuum tube. What wasn't clear is the state of the shift indicator itself, if that's working it means the prom that's used to retain the accumulated miles has failed and not sending the data to the display driver. All blank points to an issue with the drive section, high voltage or filament. The instrument cluster on the Gen-7 Impala is literally a little computer driving stepper motors and the display tube, light bulbs are just for the back lighting and a few signals. Everything is data driven from the BCM except for the turn signal and high beam lights and it's going to need an experienced electronics technician to repair it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
They use a vacuum fluorescent display for the odometer and shift indicator, it uses a small high voltage driver and divider for the filaments being it's a vacuum tube. What wasn't clear is the state of the shift indicator itself, if that's working it means the prom that's used to retain the accumulated miles has failed and not sending the data to the display driver. All blank points to an issue with the drive section, high voltage or filament. The instrument cluster on the Gen-7 Impala is literally a little computer driving stepper motors and the display tube, light bulbs are just for the back lighting and a few signals. Everything is data driven from the BCM except for the turn signal and high beam lights and it's going to need an experienced electronics technician to repair it.
Brhatweed,
That's LOTS of wonderful information. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts