Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm in the market for a 06-08 and was wondering what to look for when shopping. Any thread dealing with this?
I looked at one with rust through on the front of the hood and have heard about rusty door bottoms(?).
Mostly looking for drivetrain issues as I put a lot of miles on.

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Rusted through in that amount of time huh ? WOW.

Biggest problem is the 4T60 transmission and it's shift solenoids messing up. Causes some harsh shifting and some engagement issues etc. If caught early then repairable. Changing the fluid ( DO NOT FLUSH ) can hold those issues off for a while but eventually will have to be dealt with. There is some TSB info in the attached link someplace about adding a second magnet to the pan etc after a fluid change. Motors are, by enlarge pretty reliable but all depends of course on how they were treated. Some of the factory crimped power steering lines and transmission cooling lines can cause some issues with leaking etc but those are pretty easy to deal with. Wheel sensor ABS pigtails can cause some drama as well especially in Rust Central where y'all are. HVAC Blend Door actuators can fail as well but there are links on here on how to deal with them. I would assume that any from 2006 to 2008 or so would have failed by now if they were going to but who knows.

If you find one that has no rust happening along the door bottoms yet then a can or 2 of Fluid Film sprayed into the drain holes along the bottom can hold that off.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on

8th Gen Drivetrain - Chevy Impala Forums

·
Super Moderator
18,443 Posts
Good luck with your search! If you get an Impala, you BETTER post pics HERE!:nerd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How prevalent are the transmission issues?! I'm looking for a car with around 100k and plan on (hope to) put at least another 150k on it. I'm assuming any GM car withe the same engine/trans combo has the same issues? I've had Buick and chevy's with the 3800 go 300k easy and was hoping to find similar reliability in a newer body style.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Where are you in MI?

·
Registered
379 Posts
How prevalent are the transmission issues?! I'm looking for a car with around 100k and plan on (hope to) put at least another 150k on it. I'm assuming any GM car withe the same engine/trans combo has the same issues? I've had Buick and chevy's with the 3800 go 300k easy and was hoping to find similar reliability in a newer body style.

I would say the odds of finding an 06-08 that will go 250k on the original tranny are fairly unlikely. There is a thread that asked people what the highest mileage people have on the original tranny is.
http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/341325-most-miles-on-an-original-8th-gen-tranny-2006-present.html
Not a whole lot in the 200k+ range. Not saying its impossible, but they don't seem that reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts