Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 with the 3.6L with 42k on it.

Was changing the oil on this POS and noticed that the oil has a bunch of fine metal flake in it. A small portion of the flake is magnetic but most of it looks like aluminum. After changing the oil and driving it home I pulled the dip stick and can still see metal suspended in the oil. No weird noises from the engine, just an exhaust rattle at cold start. Doesn't burn any oil either...yet.

Taking it to the dealership Friday, but I'm curious to know if there's any known issues with these engines that would cause this. I'm not finding a whole lot through searches.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well received small update from the dealer. The timing chain cover was leaking as well so that was resealed. No issues discovered there that were relevant to the metal flake in the oil. They also said they checked some screens on something inside the engine and no metal was found on them(although they acknowledged the flake in the oil).

They have been in contact with GM regarding this, GM is indicating that the oil filters might be getting pushed into bypass mode and not filtering the oil.

I've been using the most up to date filter that is supposed to resolve this issue with higher PSI spec before the filter goes into bypass mode(AC Delco PF63E, now the most up to date is labeled PF63 again as of 2021?). So perhaps continued poor engineering has been causing even the most updated filters to not properly filter which has damaged my engine.

For what it's worth I purchased this car with 27k miles on it, and records showed regular oil changes up to that point. Since I took ownership of the vehicle I have been doing 4-5K oil change intervals with Mobil-1 5w-30 and as mentioned OEM AC Delco filters. 4-5k miles usually shows about 30-40% oil life left per the vehicles OLM system.

Will keep this post updated.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Well received small update from the dealer. The timing chain cover was leaking as well so that was resealed. No issues discovered there that were relevant to the metal flake in the oil. They also said they checked some screens on something inside the engine and no metal was found on them(although they acknowledged the flake in the oil).

They have been in contact with GM regarding this, GM is indicating that the oil filters might be getting pushed into bypass mode and not filtering the oil.

I've been using the most up to date filter that is supposed to resolve this issue with higher PSI spec before the filter goes into bypass mode(AC Delco PF63E, now the most up to date is labeled PF63 again as of 2021?). So perhaps continued poor engineering has been causing even the most updated filters to not properly filter which has damaged my engine.

For what it's worth I purchased this car with 27k miles on it, and records showed regular oil changes up to that point. Since I took ownership of the vehicle I have been doing 4-5K oil change intervals with Mobil-1 5w-30 and as mentioned OEM AC Delco filters. 4-5k miles usually shows about 30-40% oil life left per the vehicles OLM system.

Will keep this post updated.

Thanks for the update.

I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, purchased new. When changing the oil and filter, I have alway used Dexos certified oil and the correct ACDelco filter. I change (or have changed) the oil and filter before the oil life monitor hits 30 - 35%.

Initially, the dealer changed it as it came with 2 or 4 free oil changes. The service department used the incorrect oil filter (PF48) and I dinged them in the survey they sent. One time I specifically told the service writer to use the correct filter by name, and the technician still used the incorrect oil filter. I had them redo it.

After four major surgeries, I no longer do much maintenance on my vehicles myself - I take the vehicles to the dealer. I still do light work on them.

My vehicle now has 73,xxx miles on it. I have never seen any flakes of metal in the oil, and I still use bright sunlight to inspect the engine oil dipstick when checking the oil.

I’m following this thread, as I’m curious on what will be done to your engine. I suspect you have an internal issue, and the dealer is trying to sidestep you. I hope you have them document the metal flakes on the repair order (not just your report, but that they found them too.).

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,630 Posts
Sounds like they're trying to string you along til the clock runs out on the factory warranty. Dealership service departments don't make much money on warranty repairs.

Factory warranty on a 2019 Impala is 5 years 60,000 miles. My guess is you'll hit your end of factory warranty date sometime between September 1st and the end of the year.

It's good advice to make sure the "unexplained" metal in the oil is documented on the repair orders before the clock runs out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the dealership and GM decided to just change the oil filter and send me on my way. Was told I basically have to wait until something breaks and then fight with GM or pay up as it will likely be out of warranty by then. They stuck to theory that the AC Delco oil filters were defective and not working properly. I questioned them on how it was possible that both the one I bought 5000 miles ago and the one I JUST put on were defective. No answer, but a few hundred miles with the new dealer installed filter and there is still metal flake on the dip stick.

I'm trading the car in, just too many issues and too much hassle. It still sounds like crap when it starts up and still clunks in the front end. It's just one thing after another with this car. Here's a post outlining most of the issues I've had with it: Problematic 2019 Impala - Keep or trade in?

Good luck to all of you with your Impalas. I know they are good cars but I just got a bad one.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Well the dealership and GM decided to just change the oil filter and send me on my way. Was told I basically have to wait until something breaks and then fight with GM or pay up as it will likely be out of warranty by then. They stuck to theory that the AC Delco oil filters were defective and not working properly. I questioned them on how it was possible that both the one I bought 5000 miles ago and the one I JUST put on were defective. No answer, but a few hundred miles with the new dealer installed filter and there is still metal flake on the dip stick.

I'm trading the car in, just too many issues and too much hassle. It still sounds like crap when it starts up and still clunks in the front end. It's just one thing after another with this car. Here's a post outlining most of the issues I've had with it: Problematic 2019 Impala - Keep or trade in?

Good luck to all of you with your Impalas. I know they are good cars but I just got a bad one.

I’m sorry you’ve had the problems and poor dealer service. I wish you luck with whatever vehicle you buy.

I’ve owned Chevrolet and GM vehicles for 50 + years (my first car at age 16 was a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 2-door). I’ve found that Chevrolet and GM dealer service can be great - or it can be miserable (warranty or customer pay).

I’ve also owned Dodge vehicles since 1984 and have always had excellent dealer service (for years). I bought my first and only Ford in 2015 - a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. I could write a book on the miserable Ford dealer service - which will prevent me from ever buying another Ford.

I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ - purchased new. The quality has been average - and at times, the dealer service marginal. Poor dealer service (customer pay or warranty) will drive away repeat customers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
aluminum in the oil would most likely be from pistons if the bearings were worn down to the aluminum backing it would sound like someone was inside it with a hammer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts