Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LS, 3.8. I have about 65,000 miles on it. I have a problem with the message center going crazy while I am driving. This seems to happen more in warm weather (we live in Arizona). I can be driving along and the guages go crazy and every light in the message center comes on. This will only last a few seconds and then the car returns to normal. I have had it to the dealer and they can find nothing wrong. This may not seem like much of a problem to many, since the car runs fine. For me it is a problem when I am traveling by myself across country in the middle of nothing at night. I am afraid something is going out and I could be stranded. We are once again approaching our hot season and it has happened again. I didn't have any problem for the two months that we had cool weather. Any suggestions welcome. This has been a wonderful car with absolutely no problems but this one. Thank you for any help that you can give me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's a GM thing. I have a 2007 Trailblazer SS that does the same thing. Completely random. Hasn't done it in a while. No idea why.

·
Registered
375 Posts
BCM issues, like wedebrook said, are likely the cause.

·
Registered
657 Posts
FYI, a bcm is not something you can change at home in the driveway. they are one-time programmable, meaning that when/if you buy a brand new one, the dealer with have to program it for you with a tech-II. you cannot buy a used one and swap it in, so do not get sucked in by one you may find on ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that information. My husband is very much a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to the cars and motorcycles. I will pass this on to him. He just got done telling me to 'price' the item.

·
Registered
657 Posts
dont get me wrong, if you find one online somewhere that is, indeed, cheaper than what the dealer will charge you and is 100% new, you can buy it and take it to the dealer for installation and programming.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You may also be able to find a vendor that will program it for you. I know I can get a new ECM and TCM programmed to my VIN for the TBSS. The BCM may be available too, but I've never looked.

·
Registered
416 Posts
A new BCM from the dealer will run you around 230 for just the part. If you call around pricing give them this number 10350647

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your help here. We have gotten a price of 231 for the price, and 210 for the install and programming. I looked on line at gmparts.com and found the part for 120. Problem, dealers will not install the part if they dont furnish it because "it could be a bad part" and they could not be held accountable. What a crock. Guess we will bite the bullett and do what we need too. I will call the 800 number provided and let them know that many people have a problem with the BCM...may not do anything but lower my blood pressure but thats ok.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts